ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball: what I see

Denver Devil

Gold Member
Aug 23, 2006
I am no means an expert so it will be interesting to get other peoples take on some of these:

1. Dort is the man. He has the type of game I was hoping Harden would have when he arrived. While it's been so long since Harden was here and I don't remember exactly how it was, I do remember thinking that harden wasn't doing a whole lot during the game only to look up and see he would have like 28 points. So I'm guessing it's a matter of the two of them playing a different type of game and, possibly, Dort being so physically imposing and energetic that you can't help but take notice.

2. I see a team that is still learning to play TEAM offense. Last night I saw a lot of "I have the ball....time to show everyone what I can do" vs "I have the ball....how do I get US in a position to get an easy bucket". I'm hoping that's just a mater of the first game, new players, Hurley trying to figure out line-ups, etc.. Optimistic that this will get better as we go but this is a team with the athleticism that should be doing a lot of look off alley-oop plays for easy slams.

3. Defense. Started off looking good. After the half it completely went away. Defense HAS to be our calling card and it should be, with this team, smothering. No way even a good team like CSF should score above 60. Even more so when almost all of their production was coming from two players. I'm hoping that we can really develop a killer defensive mentality and become a different version of "Guard U" because last night was "Can't Guard U".

4. Is WFA cursed? Why is it that seemingly every team we've had over the past two coaches is unable to shoot free throws???? We missed 18 FFs last night I believe! That's ATROCIOUS! Year after year after year it's the same issue. We miss in bunches as a team AND/OR the 1 or 2 guys that can actually hit for a high % will miss clutch FFs when they need to be knocked down. I'm tired of hearing how "every player shoots HUNDREDS of FFs after every practice because it's not working and hasn't for years. What is the issue here?

5. Disappointed in the crowd last night. I thought it would be a sell out but it looked largely empty. I figure that will change now once people read about Dort.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News