ADVERTISEMENT

Commitment Analysis: 2016 TE/DE Hunter Kampmoyer

Kyle Caldwell

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Here is my breakdown on ASU's first commitment of the 2016 Football class.

Hunter Kampmoyer - Bishop Union HS - #8
6'4 - 235lb

GpJqZifT.jpeg

Rivals Profile: https://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Hunter-Kampmoyer-171136;_ylt=AoDfob4LDsCLVC7jpaR3SnxDPZB4
[/URL]

Varsity Stats through Junior Season:
262 Tackles (109 - Jr. Yr.)
30 TFL (15 - Jr. Yr.)
21 Sacks (12 - Jr. Yr.)
5 FF
1 INT
7 Touchdowns at TE

Ranked as the 97th best overall player out of the state of California.

Freshman Year Highlights:
http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/hunter-kampmoyer/GhIy9_TmEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/videos.htm?videoid=4fb3559a-8b33-44af-b39e-7cc3b061d75d
[/URL]
Sophomore Year Highlights:
http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/hunter-kampmoyer/GhIy9_TmEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/videos.htm?videoid=2c83b2c4-396b-4cf9-af7f-a14bdc972c51[/URL]

Junior Year Highlights:
http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/hunter-kampmoyer/GhIy9_TmEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/videos.htm?videoid=8de7f8a9-4a3a-4328-8ee5-2dfc95fad7e7

Rivals Write Up: The isolated east-central California town of Bishop isn't know for much other than a refueling stop along Interstate-395, and certainly not for turning out football prospects. That didn't stop Arizona State from gassing up on its first 2016 commit, Hunter Kampmoyer[/B], from the town.

Initial Thoughts: [/B]Kampmoyer is a well built, long framed athlete that plays at a high level on both sides of the football. I was very impressed breaking down his film and dissecting what he does good and the things he needs work on. At 6'4 he stands quite a bit taller than most of his competition and clearly takes advantage of his opportunities. That being said, it is hard to really get a handle on just how good this young man is because the level of competition is so below average. Breaking down his skill sets and technique though you get a great idea what ASU has coming their way and it is impressive.

Film Breakdown: Defensive End - Junior Highlights - http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/hunter-kampmoyer/GhIy9_TmEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/videos.htm?videoid=8de7f8a9-4a3a-4328-8ee5-2dfc95fad7e7

The Pros:
:10 - Quick burst off the edge showing how aggressive his style of play is at the defensive end position. He does not have the biggest and best first step, however as you progress through the film you see so many examples of how good his first three steps are.
:45 - Check out this clip here to give you a good idea how well he can buzz his feet and redirect to make a play. Being able to get up field, hit the breaks and get those feet going in the ground is so crucial for success on the edge.
1:10 & 1:30 - Love seeing his eyes and play progression. Watching these two clips I see a guy who knows he is going to make the play and does what he has to do to get to the football. His counter and ability to quickly do so is very impressive!
1:50, 2:10 & 4:05 - These three clips show me his football IQ and how well he reads plays. Being able to see and feel a play on the move and make the adjustments in pursuit to make the defensive play separate good and great HS players. He has it!
1:58, 2:04 & 3:49 - The get off is real - Watch these clips and you will see the "want to" to get off the ball and get in the backfield.
4:33 - The Fire Step - My breakdown of a "fire step" is an angled step out of your stance when you are taking over another gap or running an angled stunt. There are several clips on this film doing a great job of this yet I love watching this particular clip here because it is perfect all the way through. ASU uses this technique A LOT with their defensive front.
6:18 - At this point here you will see about eight clips that show you how well he reads pass on the move and adjusts his hands to impact the play. I will always hold pass deflections at the highest level because of the opportunity they create for the defense and what it does to a quarterback after he has had several knocked down.

Constructive Criticism:
- Playing High - Something so many HS lineman have no mastered yet is bending at the waste and knees and being able to turn an edge and really change their direction. One of my big take aways was how often he stood up out of his stance and fought through traffic. You would love to see more hip bend and and low back out of the gate yet these are things he can continue to work on and will need to at the next level.
- Lock Out - Another benchmark for judging the technique at the HS level is how well a defensive lineman can lock his arms out on contact with a blocker and read the play. You really don't see any examples on this film of him demonstrating this. At the colligate level, this becomes so important because of gap integrity and the simple fact that offensive lineman get bigger and stronger. Being able to separate your blocking surface from theirs is a key to success. This comes with great weight room training and of course a coach who is preaching it.
- Top End Speed - I would imagine that Hunter probably runs around a 5.0 40YD mark demonstrated by his speed he shows on film. His 10 yard burst is impressive yet watching him pursue downfield and sideline to sideline you can see he lacks that high end speed for only weight 235lbs.

Summary:
Although the competition is weak, you can see what Kampmoyer is good at and you can tell he has a lot of fun playing the game. Sacrificing the body on so many plays, leaving his feet and throwing his arms to wrap up ball carriers - It is great stuff to watch on film. He has a great swim move that you can see is his go to off the edge and plays with quick hands getting in and out of blocks. All the potential here to grow into a very good defensive lineman if he chose to play this position in college. On the negative there is not too much to get after and all things that will be addressed in college. As he grows into his senior year and we get to see that film it will be great to see how he has improved on some of these things.

Tight End Highlights: http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/hunter-kampmoyer/GhIy9_TmEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/videos.htm?videoid=8de7f8a9-4a3a-4328-8ee5-2dfc95fad7e7

The Pros:
- Good hands - Often times you see the bigger tight end type kids in HS that like to "body catch" the football. Not the case here at Kompmoyer shows us how he does a great job with his hands pulling in the football.
8:30 - At this point here going forward we are witness to some very good blocking skills. Love watching his pull to kick from the H Back set he aligns in. Really great contact with the defenders. If he is playing on this side of the ball in college he is going to have to get much better at fitting his hands in there and not rely on the pads so much.

Constructive Criticism:
- Downfield route running - This area looked to be a bit of a soft spot. Watching his brakes in and out of cuts and again the fact that he is running very high at times, it makes it hard to run crisp routes. All things that will be developed in time.
8:13 - Changing direction with the football - You will see in this clip and several others that he has a hard time changing directions with the football in his hands. This all falls back on the topic of bending your knees and being a waste bender. Time will tell if he has the ability to work that into a strength or not. Some guys are just stiff.
- Hands on contact - Mentioned above, however this is a major area he will need to improve on as you see so many blocks that he does a poor job engaging his hands and continuing the block after initial contact. So many clips with the big bang, yet a lot of times these defenders could have still impacted the play. As opponents grow at the next level, this becomes especially important!

Summary: I personally love watching this young man's defensive highlights yet if he ends up on the offensive side of the ball at ASU there is a great chance he will impact the team as well. An explosive blocker that shows he can really impact plays both through the air and on the ground.

Very much looking forward to watching Hunter develop through his senior year. You would imagine with his frame he is only going to keep filling out which will be scary for his local competition. The Sun Devils are getting a great athlete here that I could see playing on either side of the ball. Raw and times, yet also polished at a lot of things you want to see in HS. Glad to see Hunter apart of this class!

This post was edited on 3/2 1:42 PM by Kyle Caldwell

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News