ADVERTISEMENT

Consolidated Baseball Coaches Poll

Who would you hire out of these 3 choices

• Total voters

TillmanTunnell

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2019
It looks like 3 guys got the majority of the votes so I thought we'd do a new poll with just those 3 names. The search really could go anywhere from former MLB managers to guys who have never coached so until we get more info it is all speculation on who RA wants or who is interested

The 3 candidates from earlier voting are

Dan Heefner:
Pros -
He has been the head coach at Dallas Baptist since 2008 where he has made the post season 9 out of the last 10 years advancing to the Super Regional in 2011 and 2021. If you want a guy that will consistently get ASU to the post season he has the proven record.

Cons - He has never coached west of Texas. However, he has recruited AZ JC's with some success. There are currently 2 AZ JC guys on the DBU roster and he also recruited Chance Adams out of Yavapai who ended up playing with the Yankees briefly. Some ASU fans have wanted ASU to take more advantage of the local JC programs in the past and it at least shows he's comfortable recruiting in AZ.

The biggest con may just be his willingness to come to Tempe. He has interviewed for a handful of big jobs over the years including Baylor and Texas.

Willie Bloomquist:
Pros: He fits the MLB model that some fans want. He has been involved with baseball at every level and his current job with the Diamondbacks allows him to meet with business partners as well as instructing minor leaguers. Both skills that you would hope to have in a college coach. An interesting POTENTIAL possibility here would be his relationship with Pat Murphy. WB played for Murphy here at ASU and with Murphy's recent health issues and his son on the roster I can't help but wonder if hiring Bloomquist means Pat Murphy comes back to Tempe as an assistant. Less stress and coaching Kai may be enticing. Having Murphy in the program while WB gets some experience looks a little bit like Herm preparing AP.

Cons: He's never actually run a program. Heavy is the head that wears the crown. Although if he were to add Murph to his staff this really isn't an issue.

Nate Yeskie:
Pros: The glaring hole in the program is pitching and this guy has a hall of fame pitching coach resume. His pitching staffs at Oregon State were phenomenal and his arrival in Tucson seems to have correlated with a Wildcat tournament run similar to what Yeskie had in Corvallis. Just in the last week I've heard from posters here as well as some contacts I have in the east valley at some power programs that Arizona is getting a reputation for the place that pitchers should go.

For ASU to get that reputation would be a breath of fresh air. And it hurts UofA. So win win.

Con: Is he a Norm Chow that has ridden the coat tails of solid head coaches?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News