ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive Coordinator Update and More

Hod Rabino

Staff
Feb 23, 2015
I am not posting this in the open and I'm asking everyone here to do the same and keep this in the Huddle.

Was asked to keep this under wraps for reasons I'll explain in a bit, but since the cat is already out of the bag...

San Diego State defensive coordinator Danny Gonzales will be named ASU's new defensive coordinator.

Here's his bio page

The reason I was asked to hold off until Saturday afternoon on this news was the fact that Gonzales is coaching the Aztecs that day in their bowl game against Army.

If you're looking for stats for SDSU in 2017 they are listed here and they're pretty darn good. No. 11 in total defense, no. 9 in rushing defense and no. 27 in passing defense. As we know, SDSU did play a challenging schedule this year (ASU and Stanford were on it), so there is some merit to those numbers.

There is a connection between Herm Edwards (or some member of ASU's staff) and Gonzales as the two shared the same agent. I'll stress that's not the only reason for this hire, but this got the process starting.

This obviously makes the road game at SDSU in September of 2018 that much more peculiar to cover.

Since Gonzales coached safeties at SDSU I'm expecting him to have the same role here in terms of a position coach. I don't know whether he will bring a cornerbacks coach with him or not, but I do know that there's a very good chance that he will bring SDSU's defensive line coach Ernie Lawson . There is a chance that another defensive line coach form the college ranks could come here instead of Lawson but I cannot report that name as of now (will do so later when hires are official).

I'm expecting the Gonzales announcement to take place Saturday evening at the earliest, again because of SDSU's bowl game, but again this could spill into Sunday/Monday.

On the offensive side of the ball, don't be surprised if former ASU wide receiver and current NAU wide receivers coach, Aaron Pflugrad, is named ASU's wide receivers coach. Not saying it's a done deal, but seems to be headed in that direction.

Bottom line in all of this is that there seemingly won't be any hires on either side of the ball from the NFL ranks, but rather from the college ranks. We did report days ago about the defensive coordinator hire being from the college ranks and now it seems like all other future hires (aside from one coming from the high school ranks) will come from those ranks as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News