ADVERTISEMENT

Distilling what I've read, heard and viewed

asuabby

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
We're now inside of two weeks before our first game and there are lots of situations that are coming together. First, let me say that I'm a huge fan of the recent redshirt rule changes--love that younger players can play four games without losing a year of eligibility. It's a very helpful rule for teams like ASU that need to preserve the eligibility of freshmen but may need their services for a few games to provide depth or handle an injury situation (and give them some helpful experience).

I think our defense could be one of our better units in years. The additions of Roe, Pesefea, and Jones, the emergence of Hatch and Matus, and some ready-to-play freshmen have provided us with depth just about everywhere. Just got to keep them healthy and be sure that if guys like Lea, Lambert and KTT need to be more slowly worked in, we do so. Plus Kent and Sacramento give us chances to see guys play when the bullets are real even if they are small caliber. Maybe I could wish for somebody better or more experienced at a couple of positions but I can't complain that we don't have numbers.

Offense is different. The OL still worries me and I haven't read, heard or seen anything that convinces me otherwise. Maybe if Robertson gets his poop together and eventually contributes, I'll feel better. Disappointed that Roy H hasn't seized the opportunity but now understand why SC didn't try hard to keep him. Right now, I question whether our OL has the right pieces to play at the needed level. I'm think we'll be OK against our first two opponents. I guess we'll know more by the time we're finished playing MSU. Also, nothing bad can happen to either Daniels or Eno. I am happy with the decision to start Jayden. Any other choice just didn't make sense. By mid season, Daniels isn't going to be a freshman any longer. However, there would be a huge drop off in he can't answer the bell. Same for Eno. Eno is so much better than any other RB we have that maybe it is hard to evaluate the other guys properly. I just doubt that we'll have much of a running game if Eno has to miss any time. The WR unit seems to be practicing well and a couple of emerging freshmen have helped. TE should be OK--I'm worried a little because Hodges might not be 100% (but he could redshirt, I suppose). However, the freshman is going to be a player.

I'm never any good at predicting the outcome of an upcoming season. When I was younger, I used to look at our team, recognize weaknesses but believe that something good would happen and it would all work out. But that never happened. So I'm guessing that we'll be good on defense and not so good on offense because everything starts at the line of scrimmage. If somehow our OL comes together, Dave C deserves a lot of kudos. I just don't think he was left with enough resources. I can visualize an eight win season, maybe even nine if I've misjudged the OL. Or I can see a tough year ahead, with no bowl game, if we start to incur injuries at positions lacking an appropriate back up.

But in any case, I'm getting pretty excited about making my annual journey to SDS. Always love the first game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News