ADVERTISEMENT

Here's what happened when we blitzed

lived1

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2007
They ran 23 plays in the 1st half and 37 in the 2nd half. It felt as though their final drive 2 drives(13 plays/80yards....by FAR their most plays/yardage on a drive the entire game & 2 plays 25 yds) could have been very different if we did not bring in 4 backups and even more due to our PREVENT status.
In the 1st half we rushed more than 4 on a total of 3 of the 23 plays.

In the 2nd half we rushed more than 4 on a total of 8 of the 37 plays.

I did not count a 3 man front with a blitzing LB as a blitz (Which happened a couple of plays). I also did not count the 2 plays where we stacked the LOS on 4th & 2 and then 1st and goal even though Lucas blitzed and just missed a 5 yard TFL on Moss.

1)Delayed blitz by Calhoun on 2nd and 11. Wren with great push to pressure and Wicker cleans up with 4 yard sack!
2)Incomplete to Simpkins. Lucas with great coverage
3)1st and 10 at the 37 and Sam/Lea and the ever present turf monster take down Huntley for another sack! 1 yd loss (although I think they officially listed this as a TFL...running QB creates this???)
4)Moss-15 yard run to left
5)Moss-6 yds middle
6)Cole-3 yds middle
7)Cole 2- yds, 1st down. Not really a blitz. They had 2 TEs and we sent 5 on power run formation
8)Incomplete-Wilson hits Huntley's throwing arm as he releases
9)Moss 1 yd. Not really a blitz. Utah had 2 TEs and 3 RBs
10)Never seen this EVER in the CTG era. We put 8 on the LOS. EIGHT!!!! 3rd and 9 on our 45. Williams great coverage on Wilson. Lucas great coverage on his man. Das picked up the TE late and just in time. Inc.
11)Late blitz by Calhoun, complete to Carrington for 14 yards as Lucas in coverage makes the tackle

One thing I found very interesting was that although we were EXTREMELY successful in the 1st half with our 3 blitzes on 23 plays........Bennett immediately opened up the 2nd half with 7 blitzes in the first drive (12 total plays) that resulted in a 53 yd FG. He only blitzed one more time in the entire rest of the game (although I'm sure the score....23-3 and later 30-3....had something to do with that).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News