ADVERTISEMENT

High School Coaching Carousel Rumor Mill

Ralph Amsden

May 1, 2013
If you’re into that sort of thing. Not really my cup of tea, but here’s some info

Hamilton: 7 interviews. One current assistant. Three in-state head coaches, two employed, one not. Three out of state coaches. Two are head coaches, one is an assistant from Texas. Only one of the candidates has sent a player to ASU before (that I know of).

Brophy: Look for a bigtime name to pop up. Rod Sherman resigned from Valor Christian in Highlands Ranch Colorado a few weeks ago. If Brophy could pull that off, it’d be a major win.

Mountain Pointe: The principal told Richard Obert that they haven’t interviewed anyone yet, but That’s not true. I’ve had them linked to Rich Wellbrock at Basha for a while. They’ve also had talks with Scooter Molander, Brandon Matich of Salt Lake East, and another prominent local head coach. The principal is lying about this whole thing so it doesn’t look to outsiders like they broke district policy by not holding formal interviews. Wellbrock sent Ismael Murphy Richardson to ASU, so there’s a history there.

Basha: Not sure yet. Still early. I think Jake Barro of Casa Grande could apply. He coached Trevor Russell, who (in my opinion) is ASU’s best walk-on right now.

Chaparral: Most likely going to be Conrad Hamilton (who was their head coach prior to taking a job at ASU as a defensive assistant), but they’ll have some other good applicants. Obert suggested Jim Rattay in an article because Rattay is his best friend’s brother. Rattay has won one playoff game in his last 10 years as a head coach. He did the same thing last year when Notre Dame was open. Just trying to hook up a friend. Super ethical.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News