ADVERTISEMENT

Hilarious and Cringeworthy story from Doug Haller's Graham Interview

Ralph Amsden

May 1, 2013
Worth your time: https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...ects-his-six-seasons-arizona-state/978996001/

Here's the part that made me bite my lip and then cry laughing:

A few years back, before the football program had moved into the new facility, ASU remodeled the third-floor football offices in the Carson Student-Athlete Center on the opposite side of Sun Devil Stadium. A Texas native, Graham admits: “Because I grew up in God country, I’m pretty old school and patriotic.”

To reflect this, Graham had an American flag painted on the wall with photos of every ASU football player who had served in the military. He called the design – which cost about $7,000 -- “A Grateful Nation” and was proud one day to show it off to Mary Tillman, Pat’s mother.

“Ms. Tillman walks up to the wall and starts looking, and she’s an old history teacher,” Graham said. “She said, ‘This is amazing, it looks incredible,’ and she’s looking and looking and looking.”

Finally, she turned to Graham.

“He’s not up here,” she said.

“No, no, no,” Graham said. “He’s up there.”

And he looked as well.

Nothing.

ASU mistakenly had left Pat Tillman off the most important part of the building.

“I about punched (senior associate athletics director of football) Tim (Cassidy) in the face,” Graham said. “We had to take it down and put up another one. We laugh about it. When we moved over to this building Ms. Tillman walked in and said, ‘Now Coach, do I need to look through that?’ I said, ‘No, he’s on there.’’’

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News