ADVERTISEMENT

"Hometown Hero:" Is it really that impactful in recruiting?

Fabian Ardaya

Gold Member
Feb 27, 2015
I was late getting real into ASU football growing up after growing up in a soccer household, but one of the biggest things I remember was buying into the D.J. Foster bandwagon immediately after he became the first major "Stay True" player since Terrell Suggs. Along with it came the hype that the Sun Devils would land big-name in-state talent for years to come.

Graham has certainly made strides in getting ASU in the game for some of the latest big-name talents, but swung and missed with Kyle Allen and Christian Kirk (as Kevin Sumlin likes reminding everyone).

He did, however, land the state's top quarterback in Bryce Perkins who went to the same school as and has relationships with some of the state's top prospects and ASU targets. (Lucas, Harry and Kolby Taylor).

I do think Perkins will be successful in an ASU uniform, but also that this recruiting class will be crucial to see how the trajectory of the program will be in years to come and in landing future stars. If the Sun Devils land someone like Lucas (who I currently think will be a Sun Devil), it opens up the possibility of Harry joining and making a "Chandler trio" in Tempe. That opportunity hence makes it harder for a prospect like Byron Murphy to say no, and so on. It's all a domino effect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News