ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas Insider Shay Wildeboor Weighs in on Carlton Bragg

Hod Rabino

Staff
Feb 23, 2015
I caught up with Wildeboor so he could give me his opinion of the Kansas transfer who committed to ASU and what he can potentially contribute to the team.

“He’s a great kid who comes from a great family and has a great mentor,” Wildeboor said. “At the end of his freshman year he announced that he was coming back for his sophomore year. At that time, I really thought he was going to have a great sophomore year and be a big reason why this team would go to the Final Four like everyone thought Kansas would. So, in that regard I was surprised he transferred.

“The first game of his sophomore year he scored in double figures but after that he just wasn’t the same player. There was some stuff during the season where you could see the writing on the wall and he just wanted a fresh start. So, then I wasn’t surprised. But I thought that if Carlton ever left Kansas it would be to the NBA and not to another team.”

As a sophomore with the Jayhawks Bragg averaged 5.2 points and 4.1 rebounds in 13.8 minutes a game. Modest stats for sure, yet Wildeboor really likes the forward’s skill set.

“He has a chance to be really good,” Wildeboor stated. “He can play down low, he can stretch the defense…one thing I think he will have to do is get tougher as far as rebounding goes and being in the right position. He’s a good stretch-4 player who can guard smaller players. He can really space up and shoot the ball, he’s athletic and can play above the rim. He’s not a guy that strictly plays in the paint.

“If he puts everything together and puts in the work which I expect him to, he can be a really good multi-dimensional player. I think the year off (sitting out due to the transfer) will be wonderful. It will give him a chance to refresh his batteries, get accustomed to his new surroundings and put on some weight in the weight room to get stronger.”

When it comes to Bragg’s character Wildeboor spoke very highly of the forward who in some regards wasn’t your typical player off the court.

“Coach Self and his teammates really liked him,” Wildeboor commented. “There’s nothing bad I can say about Carlton Bragg, even off the record. He’s always polite, respectful to the media and has an infectious smile that can light up the room. He’s wonderful piano player. His freshman year he played the piano at Allen Fieldhouse. That’s a talent you wouldn’t think a player would have off the court.

“So, I expect him to be a really good player at Arizona State.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News