ADVERTISEMENT

Markus Howard

Ralph Amsden

May 1, 2013
Utah offered Markus Howard yesterday. That puts him at 10 offers overall. Utah reached out to the Howards in the second week of April, very soon after he reopened his commitment.

When Howard re-opened his recruitment ASU was his only major conference offer. I had told you guys that I believed re-opening his recruitment was the first step in a two step process that would end with him gong to Findlay. Ultimately, that's what happened, and when Findlay's PG reclassified and left for Duke a year early, it seemed like Howard was going to have the keys to the kingdom out there, and that he'd finally start to earn offers at the pace of his local 2017 peer, Alex Barcello.

Here's the thing though. Summer has been very good to Howard. He's impressed a ton of scouts in EYBL play, and he set a new record for 3 point efficiency during his USA Basketball U16 campaign in Argentina. Before ever taking the court at Findlay, Howard has received offers from:

Texas Tech on 4/13
UNLV on 4/14
Bobby Hurley lets him know ASU offer stands on 4/20
Memphis on 5/27
Indiana on 5/27
Marquette, likely due to Stan Johnson, on the same day he made the USA basketball roster- 6/2
USC on 6/4
U of A on 6/5 (They have less than a 1% shot at him)
Utah on 6/15

This is speculation, (but I have reached out for comment), but with 10 offers, and opportunities for enhanced competition through club/USA basketball, there might not be a reason for Howard to spend the next two years 300 miles away from his family. Don't be surprised if Markus Howard is playing basketball at Perry High in Gilbert next season. I'm not saying this is happening- but I'm not saying it isn't. Stay tuned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News