ADVERTISEMENT

Mixed Feelings

ASUHawkeye

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2011
Some thoughts after the weekend.

I am probably overthinking things as I normally do, which leads to irrational ideas, but I think there is a somewhat valid argument to keeping Graham for one more year. Now, I am not saying we should keep him. These were just thoughts. I have been pretty harsh on him and I find that to be 100% warranted, but the turnover on staff with recruiting errors has obviously impacted the team and our ability to develop players and find any recruiting stability for building a future.

I grew up an Iowa fan and Kirk Ferentz had a fairly quick turnaround at Iowa after a couple bad seasons. Iowa then slumped back to mediocre and often poor football, but they stayed with him and find ways to be a consistent solid to good program, with some poor years mixed in. Many people bash Ferentz and his pay, but I think Iowa performs about as well as they possibly can given recruiting limitations. Plus continuity in staff has lead to elite player development despite poor recruiting classes and somewhat limited talent. (Note: I am no longer an Iowa fan, 1000% invested into ASU)

The one thing Iowa did is not panic when everyone called for Ferentz to be fired. Iowa has also has way less assistant coach turnover on staff and I think that has helped stabilize things. Ferentz is as stubborn as they come, but when forced through poor seasons, he has always made adjustments. I think Graham has finally done that but it will take a year or two to show on the field.

I am sure there are more examples of this. Frank Beamer comes to mind. Also, I don't want to become Nebraska in constant HC turnover. A change in coaching that doesn't work for ASU could lead to a pretty low place, which we are already at one, but I say this in the possibility Graham has learned from mistakes.

Despite all this, today, I still lean towards going in another direction than Graham. ASU played well in the 2nd half, but there were times in the first half that the play was absolutely unacceptable. That still can't be forgotten despite a better 2nd half performance. I do think it is best to wait it out this season and see if we make progress on the field that leads us to believe next year we will be improved.

Any thoughts? Sorry if this is a poor example. Just thoughts from the past 36 hours or so.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News