ADVERTISEMENT

My short comments from ASU Football last night...

Scottsdale Sun Angel I

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2004
Wow, tons of people. Great move by CHE opening this up to fans, family, recruits & coaches.

ASU roster looks "thin", so we can use all the new players ASAP.

We need more QBs fast... but both #8 & #15 threw the ball well (numbers to help keep it short). Ball security, faking with play action, and reading "keys" continue to be an leaning "issue" here.

OUR RBs are also very limited, but #25 ran very hard... impressive.

Our OL, also is very limited, but we have 4 kids with P12 size... more help on way here too. #73 looks a bit too tall for a center, but he is strong, plays with leverage and has solid footwork. #56 & #58 played much better than I expected, and can move and look to play a bit more "up on their cleats" with proper body position. #71 has huge talent & upside, needs more work. #51 looks like he is not developing... loved the OL drill, as it had the kids working on staying low, playing with leverage and drilling on footwork... I was impressed with all three OL coaches.

Our WRs have talent, we just need more depth here too! While we have some speed & size, this group needs to work on getting off the LOS, making sight adjustments, pulling the ball in traffic.

TEs looked better than expected. The kids here look like they have been in the weight room, and they appear willing to put in the work to earn some "throws". #81 & #80 looked better size wise.

The ASU defense continues to be a work in process! I love the coaching, but we all need to understand the "talent gap" here. Our DL looks the part, size wise, but... #95, #96, #97, #98, #99 all have impressive size, but they tend play with poor pad level, need work with their hands, need more "quick twitch" for bull-rush, but I love these kids and our new DL (Coach Nua) is awesome!

LBs need a ton of help. Coach Pierce is a stud both on the recruiting trail, and field. This dude will be a HC in next 5-10 years, if he continues to "develop"... he needs to stay with CHE... #39, #41, #20 looked the best to me, but too many missed tackles, assignments and communication issues with on-line calls were clear for Spring and a new staff & defensive structure. Our DL coach was working hard & positive here.

DBs, let's just say our DC (Danny Gonzales) and our secondary Coach White probably are NOT sleeping this spring. Our back five are a mess. Yes, these kids are working hard. This will take time to "fix". If we can't get pressure with four DL, we will get exposed here. I like the development of #6, #24 here, as they have looked the best to me. #24 was rested most of the night, but he has developed his body up. We need #26, #28, #38, #18, #48, #13, #37 to develp fast, but this group will see new recruits play as fast as they learn their assignments.

STs look adequate. #1 is a stud kicker, that still need to get in the weight room for flexibility & additional strength. Punting remain a HUGE question mark. The KO returner ran hard, and it was nice to see AC working on assignments, lanes and hitting the "gaps" at full speed. Sure hope this staff plays more younger kids here, as the last staff played too few players, and did not develop young talent.

Final comments: I was impressed with the staff's preparation, practice structure, new position drills on fundamentals and the positive & "clean language" used by coaches. Lots of parents there, and no parent, wants to hear their young man getting "verbally abused" by a coach... RichRod & his staff at U4 were legendary for this BS...

Sorry for the long post, but for the out of town Sun Devils Fans, this may help with their coffee and need to have their "Spring ASU Football Fix".

Go Sun Devils! H8cats (;

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News