ADVERTISEMENT

Observations from ASU's basketball practice (Oct 12)

Erik Pierson

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2010
Along with my 9-year-old daughter, I attended the open basketball practice for season-ticket holders today. It was a cool experience for fans, as they got to interact with the players and coaches, etc.

Here are some of my major takeaways from today's action. I'll go ahead and break them into two categories (general team observations and player observations).

General team observations:

1. Best crop of big men during the Hurley era?
First and foremost, I'll say this might be the best crop of big men ASU has had in the Hurley era. Big, strong, athletic and versatile. I'd imagine Quaintance and Jihad are the starters, but Phillips looks like he's made some strides since last season and should provide some quality depth off the bench. I also think Gardner's athleticism and versatility could earn him some playing time.

2. Much-improved perimeter shooting
ASU has struggled with its perimeter shooting in recent years, but I think this could be a strength for the Sun Devils in 2024-25. Essentially every perimeter player who is expected to be part of the regular rotation is a capable outside shooter. During today's action, the trio of Miller, Ali and Sanon were especially consistent from long distance.

3. More scoring punch on this year's squad
I can't imagine ASU will struggle to score like they have in recent years. They have plenty of scoring options on the perimeter, which is par for the course for most Hurley-coached teams, but the improved frontcourt should give ASU a more balanced offensive attack this season.

4. Chemistry still a work-in-progress
As expected, it appears ASU is still working out the kinks. The defensive play seems to be ahead of the offense, which is to be expected when you return only three scholarship players from last season. At times, Hurley seemed to be perturbed with the lack of team play on offense, and in his trademark fiery style, uniquely communicated that to his players. LOL. Anyhow, talent should not be an issue for ASU this season. After watching the squad today, I'd say this is one of Hurley's most talented teams on paper (along with 2018-19 squad which featured Lu Dort, Remy Martin and Zylan Cheatham). The key to this season will likely be how quickly this team can jell together.

Player observations (in no particular order):

Basheer Jihad, Forward, Senior
I was really impressed with the fluidity in which the 6'9" post player moved on the court. Great footwork for a big man. Seemed equally comfortable playing on the low block or away from the hoop. He's really effective in pick-and-roll and pick-and-pop situations. For that reason, I'd expect him to be utilized a lot in ASU's half-court offense. Solid rebounder and low-post defender as well. The Ball State transfer should factor prominently into ASU's rotation. I'd expect him to be the starting PF.

Jayden Quaintance, Forward/Center, Freshman
This kid (only 17 years) is going to be special. So big and strong for a player his age (6'9" and well-built). However, what's most impressive is his natural instincts for the game. He seems to be in the right spot on both offense and defense. He has a nose for the ball and isn't afraid to mix it up down low. However, he also seemed comfortable to step out on the perimeter and shoot his mid-range jumper. Exceptional footwork around the hoop. He's also extremely athletic and crafty, which makes him a good finisher. Tough rebounder as well. Should be the starting center.

Shawn Phillips, Center, Junior
The 7-footer was bouncy and active in today's action. He had a number of dunks in today's scrimmage, and seemed to be engaged throughout the practice session. He had good energy on both ends of the floor. Rebounded in traffic and disrupted a few shots while he was on defense. His footwork is still a work in progress, but overall he seems to have made a nice jump from last season. Likely the backup center this season.

Brandon Gardner, Forward, Redshirt Freshman
The 6-8 forward showed great energy on both ends of the floor. He's pretty athletic for a 4-man, which is the position I think he'll play if he sees extended action. Didn't seem to be featured on offense, so it's hard to gauge what kind of offensive impact he would have. However, I think his hustle, athleticism and defensive versatility (he's a switchable defender that can guard multiple positions) may allow him to get some PT.

BJ Freeman, Wing, Senior
His versatility and feel for the game are obvious. He didn't showcase his scoring prowess in today's action. (He seemed to have an off-day). However, if the numbers are any indication, the Milwaukee transfer should provide much-needed scoring for ASU this season. At 6-foot-6, I was impressed with Freeman's ball handling and ability to create his own shot. Once he figures out how to play with other high-end players, his potential is scary. I'd guess he's either a starter or one of the first players off the bench.

Amier Ali, Wing, Freshman
He was probably the biggest (pleasant) surprise in today's action. I've heard rumblings that he's had a good preseason, and despite being the least heralded freshman in this year's class, Ali looked like the real deal today. He's every bit of the 6-foot-8 that he's listed at, and is a silky smooth player on the perimeter. He creates separation very well, and with his exceptional length (for a wing), he's simply able to shoot over defenders. He plays with a quiet confidence on the court, and seems to be under control for a freshman, which is rare. He's also a versatile defender, which should help him. Might need to fill out to play in the rugged Big 12, but the talent and skill are certainly there. He's definitely a rotation player for this year's squad.

Joson Sanon, Guard, Freshman
After watching him today, I can see why some have labeled him as a NBA prospect. The 6-5 guard was impressive, especially on the offensive end of the floor, where he plays with great poise for a freshman. I was impressed with his ability to create off the bounce for both himself and his teammates. He can score at all three levels, and displayed a savvy mid-range game, which seems to be a lost art in college basketball today. He gets exceptional separation and height on his jumper, which makes him extremely difficult to defend. I'd imagine he'll be one of the featured players in ASU's offense this season. He looks like he should be a starter -- either at SF or SG.

Adam Miller, Guard, Redshirt Senior
The 6-3 guard really seemed to be a leader in today's practice. He played with so much confidence and composure, and it reminded me why he was once dubbed a top-35 player coming out of high school. On offense, he scored at all three levels and continually made the "right play" on the floor. On defense, he played with great energy and was a menace on the ball. Much like last season, I expect him to be a focal part of ASU's attack this season. In terms of his place in the rotation, I'd guess he's either starting or the first player off the bench.

Alston Mason, Guard, Senior
I was really impressed with Mason's ability to run the offense. He's an excellent ball handler with a great burst of speed, which enables him to get into the teeth of the defense. However, the 6-foot-2 guard is equally capable of shooting from beyond the arc, which makes him difficult to defend. Watching a lot of tape of him, I know he's a big-time scorer, but he seemed content to be more of a distributor today. I think he'll be a very different point guard than what ASU fans are accustomed to watching these last couple of seasons (with Frankie Collins). Not necessarily better or worse -- just different. Offensively, I don't think Mason will have any problems transferring up to the Big 12. However, on defense, his diminutive stature could be an issue in the rugged Big 12. At a minimum, it's something to keep an eye on.

Austin Nunez, Guard, Junior
The 6-foot-2 guard was solid in today's practice. He played with confidence and composure on the floor, and along with Mason and Miller, will need to be a vocal leader for the Sun Devils this season. His offensive game was solid, but his greatest impact was on defense, where he competed at a high level. His on-ball defense was exceptional. As Hurley mentioned in prior interviews, Nunez seems to have a little muscle since his freshman season, which should help him this season. If I had to guess, Nunez is likely the backup PG to Mason. However, I fully expect Nunez to be a vital cog in the rotation, and likely one of the first players off the bench.

-------------

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.