ADVERTISEMENT

One (weird?) reason I’m excited to see what Paul Tyson can do

Ray2363

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2019
I was doing some thinking recently and I noticed I felt like I’ve been constantly worried about the health of our starting QBs for a while. Pretty much since Berco left, every season I’ve always had a fear our QB would get hurt. Like the “one bad hit and we’re screwed”, “as long as he stays healthy” type of fear and that didn’t really seem like a concern fans at many other programs have for such a long period of time.

Now that Tyson’s here, I’m just happy that we’ll finally have a starting QB that weighs 200+ pounds. I’m neither exaggerating, nor joking lol.

Since Berco left and Manny Wilkins became starter in 2016, we’ve had a TOTAL of 8 QBs in the program who have weighed at least 200 pounds at any point during their time here (not counting Ethan Long). And keep in mind, Manny & Jayden were essentially the only starters we’ve had since 2016. AND Manny was one of the 8 total.

Out of all 19 different people who have had “QB” next to their name over the last 6 years at ASU, only 42% of them have weighed at least the NCAA average of ~207, and only 5% of them started (sans a one-off game with a back up filling in).

I recognize some of their weights are gonna fluctuate as they develop; and just because a QB is underweight doesn’t mean he’s automatically injury prone nor is a more-heavy QB immune to injury (paging Taylor Kelly on line 1). But, even still, that’s an absolutely wild stat. More than half of all the bodies we’ve had at the most important position in the game over 2 different coaches have been underweight by a lot compared to a lot of other programs.

Argue about their success (or lack thereof) all you want, but we have been VERY fortunate to have had as healthy and dependable of a QB for the last 6 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News