ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Mystery Science Theater 3000

theoriginalsundevil4life

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Since the news is fairly slow I thought I'd start a new discussion thread on one of my favorite shows, Mystery Science Theater 3000. (Hey we had an Aliens thread so why not MST3K?) I loved this show so much. It was wildly popular but succumbed to executive meddling, internal strife, and limited options for access.

This is why I'm so happy they brought it back on Netflix, albeit with a new format and cast. This leads to the discussion, has anyone caught the new season yet? Here are my two cents on it:

1) I LOVE the new season. Yes it took some getting used to a new cast and format, but Jonah Ray does an excellent job as the new host. Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt (who I had some trepidation about as the guy is overly political on social media) do a tremendous job as the new "Mads". Hampton Yout is a natural as Crow. Baron Vaughn's voice being so different from Kevin Murphy took some getting used to as Servo but I love the guy's sense of humor and he does a great job with him.

2) Overall I don't seem to be alone. The vast majority of what I've seen online seems to agree with me, and we're talking about a fan base of nerds....arguably the most difficult segment of the population to please.

3) The new movies they riff are just asking for it. I'm only two thirds of the way through right now and I'm on The Many Loves of Hercules starring Jayne Mansfield. Jonah and the bots don't disappoint. Some other great ones are Reptilicus, The Land Time Forgot, Avalanche, The Time Travelers, and more.

4) They have many call backs and shout outs to prior jokes used on MST3K including references to Rowsdower, Mitchell, and of course "Watch out for snakes!" They definitely do a great job of staying true to the original while adding numerous jokes that a modern audience would get. (Guy puts on a big ugly fur coat) SERVO: "What you think you're the commander of the Night's Watch now?"

I'm so happy they brought it back and hope they keep it on for years to come. I'd be curious to know what those on DD's thoughts on the subject were. If we have enthusiasts of Alien on here then I know we have some true fellow nerds who must also be "misties".

MST3K-Share-Image.jpg

Reactions: paTTon42
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News