ADVERTISEMENT

Play calling gripes

jarvii93

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2007
Yes, I know we won and it was a great win but something that got me yelling throughout the game last night was the play calling on the offensive side of the ball at certain times. Where was the creative play calling when we tried running the ball? We did not have one fly sweep (that I can recall), not one pitch to the RB to the outside, and no reverses of any kind. Every run play was between the tackles which was the strength of the MSU defense and we got pretty much nothing on any of those plays. The team speed and pursuit from MSU was average at best and we needed to get our play makers with speed outside of the tackles. Coach Likens need to change this approach and quickly with teams like Stanford and USC.

And I never want to see a 3rd and 2 or 4th and 1 where Manny is doing the RPO in the back field. Things take way to long to materialize and gives the defense time to penetrate and blow the play up. Either line up over the center or if you stay in the shotgun hand it off right away to Eno ( or whoever is back there) so he can hit the hole quickly. I hate the dancing around in the backfield trying to read the defense. Hardly ever works.

Great win but I think Likens can do more to take advantage of our speed and quickness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News