ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking the Pac-12 transfer quarterbacks

Hod Rabino

Staff
Feb 23, 2015
Granted one person's opinion, in this case John Canzano, but it seems that a good deal of Pac-12 writers are for some reason much more harsh on Emory Jones compared to other QB's on this list.

Article below:

I’m interested to see what happens with the sea of Pac-12 transfer quarterbacks this season. What will USC’s Caleb Williams and Oregon’s Bo Nix look like with their new college teams? Will Jayden de Laura be as effective at Arizona as he was at Washington State? And speaking of the Cougars, everyone is raving about the play of transfer QB Cameron Ward. He’ll lead the charge with WSU’s return to the Air Raid next season.

Florida transfer quarterback Emory Jones is now at Arizona State now with Herm Edwards. Washington got Michael Penix Jr. from Indiana. And Cal has Purdue-transfer Jack Plummer in its quarterback room.

That’s seven — 7!! — transfer quarterbacks who could step in and start next season in the Pac-12. Meanwhile, Utah returns starter Cam Rising, UCLA brings back Dorian Thompson-Robinson and Stanford has Tanner McKee. The prevailing thought is that Oregon State will start Chance Nolan again this season and Colorado will bring back starter Brendon Lewis. But the rest of the conference has turned in 2022 to transfer starters.

My way-too-early ranking of the Pac-12’s transfer QBs:

• 1. Caleb Williams, USC
  • 2. Bo Nix, Oregon
  • 3. Cameron Ward, WSU
  • 4. Michael Penix Jr., UW
  • 5. Jayden de Laura, Arizona
  • 6. Jack Plummer, Cal
  • 7. Emory Jones, ASU
Williams is reunited with coach Lincoln Riley at USC and they’ve surrounded him with gifted skill-position players. He’s easily the top transfer QB. After that, it’s bottle neck of talent. Nix has big-game experience and he’ll need it in Week 1 when the Ducks go to Atlanta to play defending national-champion Georgia. I went to Oregon’s spring game wondering who would start the season opener — but left it 100-percent certain that Nix is the guy for first-year coach Dan Lanning.

I may be over-valuing Ward by putting him in the top three, but I think WSU’s return to the Air Raid is going to make him shine in 2022. And Penix Jr. should see a nice resurgence under coach Kalen DeBoer at Washington.

Arizona’s de Laura feels like the biggest wildcard. He was sensational at times in Pullman, but I’m wrestling with how much of that was due to Nick Rolovich’s offensive scheme and presence. Coach Jedd Fisch at Arizona could end up looking smarter than anyone if he can take de Laura to the next level.

Plummer, now at Cal, played really well for Purdue in the opener against Oregon State last season, but lost the starting job four games later. He’s tall and mature. I rated him No. 6, but Bears coach Justin Wilcox will know just what to do with Plummer. ASU’s Jones was alternately dangerous/erratic at Florida. He’s a gifted runner (750+ yards last season), but threw 13 interceptions vs. 19 TDs.

John Canzano

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News