ADVERTISEMENT

Roster Talent/Management

Astros Fan

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2019
I was a Defender of Herm......for way too long and now humbly/embarassingly Apologzie to everyone........but I am and will be a defender of Kenny D for what i think will be a short time, meaning i expect us to turn the corner much quicker and will not need to be in full go DEF mode

We have discussed the Pro Style system run by Herm and the accompanying issues/infractions/black clouds and state of the program that he left us in @ nauseum, but i think it is time for a Refresher course in what Herm left us talent wise.......so for a quick overview of who is remaining from Just 2 yrs ago, the 2022 season, on our current depth chart, is

* Kickers - 0 kickers, punters on depth chart
* QB's - 1, Trent B, and as much as we all love Trent, this coaching staff has yet to play him this year
* RB's - 0, natta
* OL - 1 i can think of - E Bohle, who has gotten decent amount of reps, seems to have played average this yr
* TE - 0, natta
* WR - 0, natta
* OFFENSE - 2 players from Herm's great nfl style program on our current depth chart from 24 months ago

* DL - 0, natta
* LBr - 1, C McCullough, has been pretty good for us this yr
* CB - 0, natta
* S - 0, natta

So, while most programs across the US of A probably have minimum 8-10 starters or depth chart kids on their rosters from 2022 season, we have a total of 3..........the Only P5 program i can think of that might have less would be Colorado, but not going to waste my time looking @ that roster

NIL Resources - While we are at it, lets take a peek @ NIL.........do you think there are Any P5 programs in the country who had less to work with in 2023 than KD?.......while our good friend Ray was AD, and 100% not endorsing or raising $ for NIL, do you think there were maybe 2-3 programs who had less to use than us??..........doubtful..........and for this yr, with the late start we had knowing Graham was not hired until March, i am confident that with the $$ commitments to current roster (or NIL commitments we had available in spring & summer to offer our kids/other portal kids) is @ best in bottom 10% of P5.........now, if the current lawsuit that is in process of being finalized in the courts kicks in @ Fall of 2025, we will be pretty much on even keel with 75+ % of the programs .......not w the Bamas, ohio states, texas, etc, but the rest of us will be in same boat w roughly $20M to use for student athletes

Recruiting - KD's 1st class in FEB of 2023 was OK, but because he came in so late - DEC 2022 - and a ton of kids had already signed in the 1st ever DEC signing period, well there was not a lot left to choose from for FEB..........and the commitments that herm had garnered were minimal @ best as most of the staff was gone @ seasons end
* his 2024 class, this yrs Freshman class, i think is a step up on paper and should play out OK........and think the verbals we have to date for the 2025 class - all the big OLine kids, 4* WR Wilson & Dyer - i think will play out even better than the 2024 class

Portal - without reviewing the 2023/2024 portal names, think we did OK in 2023 as again KD was in his 1st 6 months on job and was late to the game..........think the kids we signed this past spring have OR will play out much better - RB R Brown, DL Swanson, Konaiga, LBr Elliott, Crook, Fiasu, DB Rowser, hopefully Welch.......they have somewhat solidified our depth chart to respectable - and now that KD has built the culture, we are on our way to 6-7 W's and a bowl game, and there are a few sheckles in the NIL pot to entice new kids........well think the Dec/spring portal will play out even better than this past yr......on paper looks like we will need at minimum a solid backup QB, probably a LT, hopefully a Guard and WR on O.......maybe a couple DL pieces, a good CB, and a replacement for Sh Simmons on D

final comparison before i go watch Devils Hockey is brief comparison of Tx Tech/Cincy programs, our 2 losses

* Tx Tech - game was @ Lubbock, had a 2 yr starter/5th yr QB, much more NIL $$ than KD has had.........Tx TEch was 8-5 in 2022, do you think their HCoach inherited a little more than KD did from our 3 win 2022 team?......pretty sure having a starting QB, all Conf RB TAhj Brooks and All Conf LBr Rodriguez in his pocket for 2023-24 helped him to where they are today

* Cincinnati - game @ Cincy, had a 1 yr starter QB (transfer from Indiana), who knows how much NIL.......Cincy was 9-3 in 2022 under L Fickell, so once again guessing Satterfield inherited Much More @ 2023-24 than KD did from Herm's 3-9

Hey, was not a lot of fun watching the game today, and yes our team and staff made some mistakes.......not going into bunch of If's and Buts...........But am sure if Sam L had been available we would have had much better chance

We are a Raw Steak right now, and most programs are either medium or medium+ compared to what KD inherited.....and you dont go from Football raw to medium in 1 1/2 seasons, even in the portal era, unless you have NIL $$$........as tough as it is to do, we need to give this steak some time to cook before it resembles anything close to Ruth Chris

Keep your Chins up boys, we are in So Much better shape than the last 3 yrs, and for most part are trending good.........just takes time to return from the abyss

PS, our besties from Tucson tech got obliterated at home by Colorado, would feel much worse if that was us

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.