ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Walkabout

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Mornin Mates...

Today's Topic = You Tell Me

This is going to be real simple today...you tell me if the Devils can be a good football team this season..??

NAU is a good football team but shouldn't an ASU team, in the 5th season of its head coach, be further along in terms of almost everything, when it comes to beating a team that plays at a lower level of football and doesn't have nearly as many scholarship players as ASU..??

Or, am I being way too critical since it was only the opening game of the year..??

I just didn't see much improvement that I had hoped to see from the DL being able to put pressure on the Jacks QB and the secondary gave up a ton of yardage and some big plays as well...

I believe the Jacks blocking schemes had something to do with it since they kept at least 7 players or more in the box to protect their QB but it was still disappointing...

The Jacks were also holding our DL a good portion of the time but I digress...

They also had a long time to prepare for this game and they have a lot of very good players on their team...

Offensively, Manny is certainly athletic and has very good running skills but the NAU defense was able to contain the Devils until the 4th quarter when they were obviously very tired...

Conventional wisdom says that most teams make the most improvement during the season between their first and second games and I'm wondering how much improvement we will see against Texas Tech next weekend...

Will the Red Raiders put up 500 yards passing and 50 or more points against our defense next Sat..??

Obviously, if they do, we are not going to win that game, are we..??

I know this is a work in progress but I have to say I was pretty disappointed with the game last night, even if the final score looked pretty good...

However, I was not disappointed with the way the stadium looked with its fresh lipstick applied after completion of the second phase of construction...

The bathrooms were an upgrade for sure and things just looked neater and newer, which they were and the new football athletic building will be a welcome addition when it comes on line next year and should really help with recruiting...

What was your take on the new stadium look and feel..??

It was also good to see all those students out there cheering for the Sun Devils and, hopefully, the "double inferno" will provide a big home field advantage in future games...

In other PAC games, USC got creamed against Bama after looking to be the Tides equal early in the game...the Bruins lost in OT to TAMU in front of over 100,000 screaming fans, and the Cats were controlled by the BYU Cougars for most of the game before they came alive late to make a game of it...Wazzu was upset by E Wash and the Huskies looked pretty darn good against Rutgers...

So, after just one game should a distress signal go out from the SS Sparky Fork 'Em or is it far too early to conclude much of anything at this point..??

Will the Devils defense be serving a bunch of toast against the Red Raiders next weekend..??

Out of the 12 teams in the PAC where would you put our Devils right now..??

I was optimistic about this season but not as much after seeing the game last night...the parts are there but we have a long ways to go and the PAC is a very tough conference...

I think we will struggle to win 7-8 games which would be a huge disappointment given this is Todd's fifth year as head coach at ASU...

What say you..??

G'day Mates and Go Devils!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News