ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Walkabout

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Mornin Mates...

Today's Topic = The Final Demise ?

I was ready to write the obituary for our Sun Devil baseball program but then they won the last two games against Long Beach State to climb above .500 for the season at 8-7...I remember way back when Jim Brock had just taken over the program from Bobby Winkles and the Devils didn't lose 7 games that whole season...

Unfortunately, the Devils back then still had the USC Trojans in their path to national championships and the Trojans were just too much for the Devils a good portion of the time under Rod Dedeaux, as the Trojans were the best college program in baseball back then but we were a close second...

We all know that the Trojans are just an ordinary program any more and it really looks like our Sun Devils are pretty darn ordinary anymore as well and have been ever since Pat Murphy got fired 7-8 years ago by Lisa Love...

Just like Todd Graham could never let go of the defense in football it looks like Tracy Smith has the same sort of behavior related to Sun Devil pitching that has been pretty darn bad a good portion of this season...our former pitching coach is now at AU where the Cats are 12-2...

I have lost much of my interest in the ASU baseball program since Tim Esmay took over after Pat Murphy, just as my interest in the basketball program has diminished to the point where I don't even bother to watch most games, even though I'm a big Bobby Hurley fan...

I will start watching more once they get a little more talent on the roster and start moving up in the standings...it's also hard living down here and having to deal with the Cats elite success...most of the retirees who live with me in Geezerville where AU paraphernalia, especially this time of year, even though they are from places like Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin etc because everybody loves a winner...

Who can blame them as the Cats just won another PAC title and another PAC tournament and will most likely get a #1 seed in the upcoming March Madness tournament while ASU sits home and thinks about whatever...

On a more positive note, it was great to hear that Danny White will be a part of the football program moving forward as he has always supported the Sun Devils and been right with Frank Kush at many junctures...

Moving onto football, our secondary numbers don't look all that good especially as depth is concerned and it will probably mean that some true freshmen will be thrown to wolves before they are physically and/or mentally ready, which is a shame, as other programs are able to red-shirt these players while we are not...

Oh well, it is what it is and why we've underachieved under Todd the past couple of years...that and many other reasons as well, as we all know...

However, the new staff seems to be more ambitious with offers, especially in nearby California these days, which should help immensely with recruiting this coming year, especially once the new football athletic facility comes on-line this summer...

I renewed my season tickets again but do have some reservations since the past two seasons have been so discouraging but once you have that maroon and gold blood flowing in your veins you just have to do what you have to do...

I love this warm weather...;)...hope you all have a good week...

Maybe Tracy Smith will prove me wrong but we'll see...

I still remember when we just reloaded every year instead of this rebuilding stuff that just seems to be inherent in everything the Devils do today in sports...

G'day Mates and Go Devils!!!

Reactions: Tycap
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News