ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Walkabout

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Mornin Mates...

Today's Topic = Treading Water

I guess we'll find out later today if our basketball team can act like a championship caliber team or return to the place where the media had them tagged in the preseason, which was around the middle of the PAC...

All I care about is getting enough wins in the conference to go Dancing in March which should not be a problem, given the way they started the season, but they have to win enough PAC games to do that, obviously...

We all know that when you go on the road that you have to not only overcome the opponents home crowd but the officials, as well, which makes almost any road game a real test of will, skill and fortitude...

I don't follow basketball like I used to do since the Devils have been so mediocre for so long but it has been fun, so far, watching this team exceed expectations with a fast paced tempo and scoring a lot of points most of the time but they have flaws that other teams are now exploiting...

I just hope we don't start just treading water like we've done for so long in conference after having such a great start...

On another note, I've generally been pleased with Herm's coaching hires so far, especially since we will now have several good recruiters from California in the mix...

I also like that Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold will be moving on from UCLA and USC respectively and, since Manny was ranked only behind them and Jake Browning at Washington, I would think that bodes well for our Sun Devils, if we can put a much improved defense on the field next season...

However, it would appear that Washington, USC and UCLA will still have more talent than the Sun Devils so it would be nice to find another couple of elevators on offense like N'Keal Harry, who makes any QB look good, so it will be interesting to see what happens during the remainder of this recruiting season...

It will also be interesting to see how Chip Kelly does for the Bruins and whether he can elevate that program to any appreciable degree and it will be just as interesting to see whether the new AU coach will use the same uptempo offense that Rich Rod employed or go in another direction that may not be as well suited to Khalil Tate's abilities...

We know what USC and Utah will be doing although the loss of Darnold cannot be good for the Trojans and Colorado will probably be doing about what they did this past season...

The good thing for the Devils, IMHO, is that USC is the only team in the South that has significantly more talent than the Devils across the board but it will be very hard to again have a 6-3 conference record given our porous defense...

The bigger question for me this year relates to whether ASU, AU and UCLA can overcome their "treading water" ways after firing Todd Graham for being average, Jim Mora for failing to take advantage of all that supposed talent he had in Westwood, that included Josh Rosen and Rich Rod for being a bully, in addition to not winning enough games...

Of course, we also will be following the new Sun Devil NFL model for doing things that right now looks to be about as clear as mud and we'll be following recruiting under the new regime after the dead period ends this week...

I wonder who out of ASU, AU and UCLA will break out of the treading water carousel the fastest, if at all..??

Most would say the Bruins based on the hiring of Chip Kelly but I'm not so sure but we'll see...

Who here thinks it will be the Sun Devils and why..??

Lot's to think about...;)

G'day Mates and Go Devils!!!

Reactions: pcock45
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News