ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Walkabout

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Mornin Mates...

Today's Topic = NFL Model

Well, at least we aren't Oregon fans this morning after they gave away their game to Stanford last night in Eugene...I had picked the Ducks to win the North and they looked like they were well on their way to doing that before totally imploding against the Cardinal...

It wasn't the Stanford NFL model that won the game for them but, rather, it seemed, the fickleness of Lady Luck in the second half of the game, although you have to give the Cardinal credit for hanging in there, until their luck changed dramatically, when a Duck TD was ruled down around the one yard line and two plays later the Ducks center snapped the ball over the QBs head which was then picked up by Stanford and returned for a TD 90 yards away...

It went from game, set and match Ducks to a disaster waiting to happen and the chain reaction that started ended with the Cardinal winning in OT...

Meanwhile, up in Seattle, our Devils, using a forked-up version of an NFL model led by Herm and his staff, decided that the best way to beat the Huskies was to keep the game close enough through three quarters, in the hopes of ambushing the Huskies at that point, with a winning drive at the end of the game, just like the Devils had done against the Spartans...

Of course, the only reason the game was close was because of our five star stud N'Keal Harry (big time talent) returning a punt over 40 yards in the closing minutes that allowed the Devils to score, with a couple of minutes left in the game, to make it close at that point...

Up until then, the Huskies had seemingly played with the Devils, moving the ball up and down the field, almost at will, most of the game, before stalling on several drives inside the Red-Zone where they settled for FGs rather than getting TDs...

Browning threw for 202 yards and had a QB rating of 86.2 while Wilkins threw for 104 yards and had a QB rating of 54.4 but, on the plus side, the Devils ran for 164 yards to almost match the Huskies 171 rushing yards...

So, my first question to you this morning is this...do you agree or disagree with Herm's strategy of trying to shorten the game by running a lot rather than opening things up more, in a less conservative approach to the game..??

The announcers seemed to give him an "A" grade for that "NFL approach" to the game but I wonder what all of you think, especially since I cannot think of any other college coaches that might use a similar non-NFL approach to a game like that with the Huskies...

At least it kept the game close and I guess we came away with a "moral victory" of sorts for what that is worth...

We've also now played a third of our season so I'm wondering what you all think about this new NFL model we are showcasing that includes recruiting many under-recruited kids to our program...

Are you impressed by what you are seeing so far or unimpressed or reserving judgement for the time being..??

Herm looks like a pretty good coach to me but I'm really not sure that he will be able to elevate our program to any noticeable degree, moving forward, especially the way he seems to be recruiting these days but I'll keep an open mind given his vast NFL experience...

Additionally, would you rather lose to the Huskies using a Mike Leach approach to the game or the way we used that NFL model last night to lose the game..??

I think that is a fair question to ask but I leave that up to you...;)

Personally, I don't really care as long as we win but I would rather score 40 points a game than what we've averaged the past three games, keeping in mind that we played three quality opponents in those games...

I also know that any model will work if you have enough talent to beat everyone on your schedule and that you are at least a competent coach...

That goes without saying, I think, but maybe the "NFL model" will make up the difference in case our talent level does not go up all that much under Herm...

So, is there something to this NFL model that will make a difference for the Sun Devils or is it just another idea thrown out there as a publicity gimmick by our athletic department..??

G'day Mates and Go Devils!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News