ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Walkabout

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Mornin Mates...

Today's Topic = Devils Bowl Eligible

So, Herm's proving to be a good enough coach in a bad conference, where only one team, Wazzu, seems to be a cut above the rest...

Aside from Wazzu, no other PAC team has more than five conference wins so far this season and just about everyone else is on a par with each other in terms of mediocrity, including USC and Stanford...

I guess you can point to the Devils beating a poor USC team, a good Utah team and a poor UCLA team as progress, after bad losses to both Colorado and Stanford, especially since the Sun Devils could end up winning the South and playing for the PAC championship...

Of course, Colorado was a different team when we faced them but USC was an injury depleted team, when we beat them, so those games kind of cancel each other out...

On another note, I want to thank Chip for going for that on-sides kick after the Bruins had scored with about two minutes left (to make the score 31-28 Devils) and having all of their timeouts available, that allowed us to get the ball near mid-field, run three plays, where the Bruins had to use their time-outs, that led to us punting the ball and Bruins taking over at their 20 with a little over a minute left in the game...

And, we all know what happened from there as the Devils defense, that had been pretty much absent most of the afternoon, especially to the forward pass, got a key sack and then the Bruins self-destructed from there...

So, one of my game balls goes to Chip with much thanks...

I may also have to send both Helton and MacIntyre condolence cards since both may well be looking for other coaching jobs after the season...

MacIntyre is proving that having a bunch of "our kind of guys" on his team doesn't work on a real consistent basis, although the Buffs have suffered a lot of injuries this season, while the Trojans, despite the talent on hand, have really not even come close to living up to their talented potential...

Meanwhile, The Pirate of the Palouse, Mike Leach, has his "system" in place and humming in the North...

Of course, the system, like any other system, including the Devils new NFL model, will only go so far as the talent on hand takes you, especially at the all important QB position...

Dust was right...I was right about the Devils having enough talent to compete with and beat just about any other team in the conference and thought we could win 7-8 games and should win enough, in any event, to be bowl eligible...

Dust was wrong...I picked the Ducks to win the North and, since giving their game away to Stanford, they have really struggled, even with Justin Herbert at QB...

I also picked the Cats as my "dark horse" pick to win the conference, since they had Tate returning and a very favorable schedule this year, and they could still do that but will have to beat the Cougars in Pullman on Sat and then the Devils in Tucson and Utah will have to lose to Colorado on Sat for the Cats to get to the championship game...

It will now be interesting to see if the Devils can go to the cold Northwest and beat the Ducks, who are not playing well these days, in their quest to win the PAC South...

So, in conclusion, what were you right and wrong about regarding various Sun Devil and PAC things, so far this season..??

Also, has Herm overachieved or underachieved this season..??

Another beautiful day in the desert...enjoy...:)

I like being bowl eligible...;)...wonder what bowl game we might get..??

However, I'm only taking it one game at a time...:smileglasses:

G'day Mates and Go Devils!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News