ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Walkabout

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Mornin Mates...

Today's Topic = Bad PAC Start

The Ducks should have beaten Auburn but managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, during the last moments of the game yesterday, and I think, despite the talent and experience, that the Ducks are not going to win the PAC this season...

Christobal is a great recruiter but not a great coach, as far as I can see, and with looming future road games against Stanford, Wash, USC and ASU, I just can't see them winning the PAC and seriously doubt that they will win the North, either...

I think that either Stanford or Wash is going to win the North, with the Huskies seemingly having the easier schedule ahead of them and I don't, at this point, see any team in the South that could beat either the Cardinal or Huskies in the championship game...

Stanford beat Northwestern by using their typical NFL game model of playing field position football, while letting their defense dominate, and letting their offense ground out enough to win most games, using this football model...

It looks like the Sun Devils, under Herm, are pretty intent on following the same strategic logic of Stanford football that has been very effective for the Cardinal under David Shaw...

Now, whether Herm can get the elite type of talent that the Cardinal usually brings in, is another matter entirely but that may well start to happen if the Devils have another successful season, that includes enough wins to bring a bowl bid to ASU...

Wazzu whacked NM State by a 58-7 count yesterday and I was hoping we would do something similar to Kent St that obviously didn't happen, although the win had many positives associated with it...

The defense played very well for the most part, Turk was outstanding to say he least in his Sun Devil debut, and Daniels played pretty good for a true freshman and shows signs of being really good at the helm, as he matures and gains QB experience...plus, Eno is special and got another 100 yard rushing game...

On the negative side, our OL probably doesn't even deserve a C grade for their performance against the Golden Flashes...

The Cade Cote injury has really put the line in a very precarious position and it will be interesting to see how the Devils coaching staff handles things moving forward...

I thought his replacement, Donovan West, a true freshman, did okay but just doing okay in this conference will not get you anywhere special, as we all know...

Do you move Cohl Cabral back to center that is his more natural position or do something else or leave that alone for the time being..??

I would really consider moving Cabral back to center and then reinforce the LT position through the use of a blocking TE and/or RB to scheme for the deficiency there...

It's like picking your poison with no really good alternatives..:(

If anyone here has any bright ideas on how best to deal with this situation, please let us know...

On another note, Hansen pointed out in his Sunday Notebook today, that the Cats had 12 players in the NFL by 1989, 28 by 1999, and 15 by 2009, while now they just have five on NFL rosters...

In 1999, the Cats had 13 "big bodies" on active NFL rosters which shows that "if you don't have strength up front, on both lines, you can't go far in the PAC"...

Hansen concludes by saying that "you need look no further for the reason of AU's diminished stature in college football for it you're not producing NFL prospects, you're not spending much time in the Top 25"...

To which I will add...AMEN to that conclusion...;)

I'm still thinking that the Devils, by the mid-season bye date on 10-5, that Daniels will have gone from a pretty good QB, considering his FR status, to a better than average QB that can win crucial games for the Devils down the home stretch of the season, even given the tenuous nature along the OL...

We still have a chance to be a pretty good football team this year, IMHO...:)

Well, have a great Labor Day tomorrow...;)

G'day Mates and Go Devils!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News