ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Walkabout

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Mornin Mates...

Today's Topic = Misery Loves Company

Apparently, we can beat some pretty awful teams but can't seem to beat teams that are beatable, like several of our opponents in the past month of losses...

There are a plethora of excuses to make for a poorly coached team like we're young, have had some injuries, don't have enough talent and those sorts of things...

So, I asked a retired sportswriter down here in Geezerville what he thought of Herm Edwards and his reply was succinct and right to the point, I think...

"Nice guy, Weak Coach"....

There is absolutely no doubt that Herm is the epitome of a nice guy but the weak coach designation is probably open to debate since this is only his second year on the job...

I also asked him about Kevin Sumlin and he replied that Sumlin had screwed-up Khalil Tate and been a lousy recruiter, who was not going to be the answer at AU...

Not sure that Herm has screwed-up any one player but his fingerprints are all over a team that appears "soft" and not very well prepared for games...

He also doesn't appear to have one of the better staffs in the PAC as the current losing situation at ASU is showing week by painful week...

You could also say that Herm has run out of the luck this season, that helped him last season, when N'Keal Harry almost beat USC by himself and when Kevin Sumlin took the fork out of the Devils in the fourth quarter, only to lose on a very makeable FG try in the dying seconds of the game...

This is not a well coached team right now and it remains to be seen if Herm can actually elevate the program to any appreciable degree, much less win 8-9 or more games in a season...

Some will point out that he didn't inherit a good situation from his predecessor but was it as bad as what was left at Oregon St, Colorado, or UCLA..??

Mediocrity loves company, as much as misery, as shown by the bottom-dwellers in the PAC, who all have lots of excuses with which to hang their hats on these days...

So, on a different note, how many points will the Ducks score on the Devils in the first quarter and first half against the Devils next weekend..??

I'm thinking at least somewhere between 20 to 35 or more based on what I'm seeing from the Devils defense these days...

"Nice guy, Weak coach"...

You make the call...:)

For me it's all about the talent on hand and we don't have nearly enough of it and I'm not sure that Herm's NFL credentials and personality are going to resonate enough with elite players to draw them to ASU...

If not, we'll be talking about both mediocrity and misery a lot in the coming years...;)

At least the Fall weather is pretty darn nice these days...:)

G'day Mates and Go Devils!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News