ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Walkabout

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Afternoon Mates...

Today's Topic = Music to my ears..:)

Friday night, I went to the birthday party for one of my step-daughters down here that included some of her many AU friends and the first thing out of the mouth of one of the most boisterous AU fans there, who is a long time Cats BB season ticket holder, asked me what was wrong with my Sun Devils since they weren't behaving like they were supposed to do by losing games, etc...

Then another AU fan asked me when Remy was finally going to leave the school and I told her that Remy had another year at ASU, that made her head drop like a brick onto the table, and she pretended to cry and said that she sure missed the good old days when the Cats dominated things, and hoped that there weren't any more Remy's headed to ASU any time soon...

I didn't rub in football since none of them, at the party, were Sumlin fans and they have all been looking forward to his removal as their football coach, the sooner the better...

Anyway, the first guy I mentioned lives in Baltimore and travels to Tucson regularly to attend AU sporting events, especially basketball, that is obviously a long ways to travel to watch a team play, especially for someone who didn't attend school there...

He was stationed at D-M while in the Air Force and fell in love with the Cats basketball program while there...he also goes to the PAC BB tournament in Las Vegas every year and travels to away games, as well, on a regular basis...for instance, he went to the Cal and Stanford games last weekend in the Bay area...

I haven't talked to him today about what happened in both Tempe and Tucson last night but will send him an email later, teasing him a little bit, since the Cats BB world order seems to have changed in recent years since ASU hired Bobby Hurley...

Maybe you can grind your way to the top after all if you have a coach like BH in place...he's improved the talent level at ASU but it still pales in comparison to all of the great freshman BB players Sean Miller recruits to AU...

Maybe the "one and done" recruiting syndrome isn't necessarily the sure fire winner it is cracked up to be although the Cats are still right near the top of PAC standings like ASU, Colorado, Oregon, UCLA and USC...

So, do you prefer the grinding style of ASU over a team consisting of nothing but 4 and 5 star players like AU, who will lose at least three FR five star players at the conclusion of the season..??

I'm still going to put my money on talent rather than grit most of the time but sure have appreciated what the Devils has accomplished so far this season...one that appeared moribund about a month ago...

Plus, it's not like the Devils don't have a lot of talent on their team as many of the players were highly rated when they signed on with ASU but, again, nothing like what the Cats bring in regularly according to the rating services...

So, again, would you rather watch a bunch of "one and done" players at ASU or players that might not be all that elite but who stay for several years that gives a certain amount of continuity to the program..??

Personally, I want my cake and to be able to eat it too...;)

Just have the right blend of elites, playing with grinders, who find ways to win...:)

I didn't think we had a chance to make the Big Dance again this year, at the start of February, but it sure looks like we have that chance now, if we can win several more games down the stretch...

How awesome would that be..??

Of course, the morning newspaper down here didn't mention the Sun Devil win last evening even though our game was over well before their press deadline last night...

Oftentimes, the silence down here is Music to my Ears...:)

G'day Mates and Go Devils!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News