ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Walkabout

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Mornin Mates...

Today's Topic = The PAC's Edition of Liar's Poker

Does anyone here believe that the PAC is truly "galvanized" after the Trojans and Bruins said adios to the conference in favor of the Big-10..??

Are we to believe that the Ducks would turn down a call from either the SEC or Big-10 in favor of staying put in the chaotic and very vulnerable PAC these days..??

Wouldn't the same be true of just about any other member of the PAC that might add a little or a lot of value to those conferences..??

But, how much value does a member like ASU add to the mix, given what's going on with our football program these days, as there cannot be much of any value associated with a "dumpster fire" that I can see...

We're no longer a football program on the rise, under an all-star coach like Frank Kush, when the PAC came calling back in the 70s, as our fan interest has declined so dramatically that our stadium attendance has decreased from over 70K during the WAC and early PAC days, to now slightly more than 50K, if we are lucky on most game days...

And, how many people tune in to watch our Sun Devils on the PAC Network and other channels unless they are playing Notre Dame or some equivalent iconic type school...

The decline of ASU football has been going on since the 80s when John Cooper left for Ohio St and Larry Marmie took over...

We also do not have an elite basketball program like the Cats and our once elite baseball program isn't what it used to be, either...

So, where does that leave us in this high rolling and wild dealing college landscape these days..??

Are we just wishing and hoping that the PAC can somehow be salvaged by our new commissioner who, by the way, missed the boat when it came to being hoodwinked by USC and UCLA this past month..??

Apparently, nobody is into History and Tradition meaning anything, these days, as one conference, after another, has found out this century...

It's all about the money and what that can do for programs across the country that want to play in the big leagues...

The only question now, barring some kind of miracle, during the days of Liar's Poker, is who is going to be left standing after all of the fallout associated with this risky game is sorted out...

For an old timer like me, who grew up during the ASU-WAC glory days, to now witness this dissolution of college football, especially as it applies to our Sun Devils, is very sad...

There are Five Stages of Grief according to psychiatrist Elizabeth Kubler-Ross and I've already gone through all of them but wonder about where you stand with this grief process...

I stopped with the Denial a long time ago when I realized that the Sun Devils were just not what they used to be in the Big 3 sports...

I was Angry for awhile but knew it wouldn't do any good since I didn't have any control over our athletic dept...

I never got into Bargaining with a higher power like our school president or athletic director since they could care less about what I thought about things...

That left me a little Depressed along the way but it is what it is, I decided...

As a result, I've Accepted our fate and can only pray that some miracle will deliver us from oblivion, as I know that our president and AD won't do that for us...

So, where does your mental health stand right now during this crisis..??

What stage are you in, if any, at this point..??

Also, are you grieving about losing USC and UCLA or are you, like me, who says good riddance!!!

Heck, the Trojans and Bruins haven't done much to brag about in the PAC in a long, long time, for the most part...:cool:

But, they will earn plenty of mileage credits while traveling back east to play the likes of Ohio St and Penn St, etc, on a regular basis...

I sure won't be pulling for them, that's for sure...;)

However, I will give them credit for playing a good hand of Liar's Poker, though, as they certainly hoodwinked the conference brass that was caught with their collective pants down, once again, it would appear...

Maybe we should call our PAC leadership the "pants down" brigade as they seem to almost always be saying..."we sure didn't see that coming"...

On the other hand, we probably won't have to be concerned about our school's administrative brass playing Liar's Poker as they think they are all above that sort of thing, right..??

G'day Mates and Go Devils!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News