ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Walkabout

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Mornin Mates...

Today's Topic = The Pit Of Misery ?

With the hiring of Kenny Dillingham, has the Sun Devil Nation been let out of the football program dungeon they've been in for at least the past 18 months..??

It's been a tortuous time for the SDN, as we all know, with the final indignity coming on Friday when we lost to the Cats...

For me, the past 48 hours has been a roller coaster of emotions that has now transitioned from total despair to one of hope that envelops a brighter future...

I don't know if a 32 year old whizz bang of an offensive coordinator can turn us into a title contender in the PAC but do know that he has my total backing while he tries to do so...

What's not to like about a Sun Devil alum who is from the Valley and appears to have all the prerequisites to be a successful head football coach at ASU...

In any event, he is the polar opposite of Herm, who represented an age of football that went the way of the extinct Dodo birds a long time ago...

In the more modern age of football, you better be able to score well over 30-40 points a game if you want to have any chance to win, especially in the PAC...

You are also going to have to recruit the transfer portal, as much or more as the usual HS ranks, for players that can help your team win...

And, you have to generate enough excitement, with what you are doing, in order to get the fan and booster base to pony up enough NIL money to entice players to your program...

Under Herm, Ray and Crow the excitement level had diminished to a dull hush, as if the program was on life support, only a decibel or two from flat lining...

Thankfully, now, the program has gotten a big shot of adrenaline with which to face the future, with energy and a smile...

It looks like Jason Mohns, Charlie Ragle and former Sun Devil, Vince Amey, will be on Dilly's staff, which is certainly a step in the right direction, if you ask me, as they are all from the Valley and know it inside and out...

Hopefully, they will be very good coaches at developing and scheming talent correctly, as well as recruiting it in the first place...

It also appears that Shaun Aguano will have an opportunity to join the staff, if he so chooses to do so, and I sure hope that he does...

Our offense does not appear to be in a hopeless situation, especially if Dilly can keep most of our talent that is eligible to return intact, which will be a priority for him moving forward...

Defense appears to be another story and will need a very gifted defensive coordinator to be in place in order to rebuild it...

I guess someone like Jimmy Lake is currently handcuffed by the buy-out terms of the contract he had with Washington but I'm wondering if he might be available after the first of next year (2023) from what I've read about his contract...

In any event, Dilly is going to have to make a great hire when it comes to getting our next defensive coordinator in place...

On another note, I was glad to see the Trojans win last night against Notre Dame, even though I dislike USC, just like about everyone else in the PAC and elsewhere, since that keeps the PAC's playoff hopes alive...

As a conference, we need a team to get into the playoffs and the sooner the better, even if it is the Trojans, in my estimation...

Relatedly, in my opinion, having an expanded CFP situation will only help the Sun Devils as we seek to move out of the low rent district in the PAC to a more lofty championship level, within it, under Dilly...

In conclusion, is anyone here not excited about what just happened with the hiring of Kenny Dillingham..??

I'm still going to have a lot of post traumatic shock to grapple with after being in "The Pit of Misery" for so long but I can now see a light at the end of the tunnel and it isn't the Herm train running through it anymore, thankfully...

Dilly, Dilly!!!

G'day Mates and Go Devils!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News