ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Walkabout

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Mornin Mates...

Today's Topic = Legacy ?

I haven't been to Camp T in years but I have fond memories of it and think that it is such a wonderful Sun Devil "legacy" that Frank Kush established long ago...

And, I'm wondering what, if any, NIL opportunities are going to be offered at the event..??

Speaking of legacies, there is a front page story this morning in the Daily Star down here about a wrestling family on the south side of Tucson that has captured three generations of state championships...

They all competed and won state wrestling championships at Pueblo High School...:cool:

Elizabeth Valenzuela Smith became the first woman to win a state title this past year and she followed in the footsteps of both her father and grandfather that also won state championships at the same school years ago...

Yep, she beat a bunch of young men to do it and was only a freshman at the time, so will have several more opportunities to repeat as a champion at the school in the coming years...

I wonder if our wrestling coach -Zeke Jones - would offer a Sun Devil scholarship to someone like her if she continues to be a great championship wrestler in Arizona..??

Changing gears a bit, I see where 75 prominent members of the Tucson community down here took out a full page add in today's newspaper to honor president Robbins who has resigned at the school...

The list reads like a Who's Who of Wildcat boosters and coaches who want to thank Robbins for his many contributions to the school, especially its athletic dept...

Something tells me that won't be happening anytime for our ASU president whose reputation toward Sun Devil athletics not very positive, to say the least, when talking to ASU fans and boosters...

But, he and his new AD have put a new and improved model in place for our athletic dept so maybe his legacy will improve, if we start doing better in our Big 3 sports, due, in part, to this innovative, new model...

Speaking of innovative models, how about what our Big 12 commissioner is proposing for our conference...selling the conference naming rights to a billion dollar corporation like Allstate...

Will our Sun Devil football team have to put Allstate on one side of their helmets, along with either a Fork or Sparky on the other side of it..??

Like a "Good Neighbor, Sparky is there"..??

We have to admit that we've been "good neighbors" to most of our recent football opponents haven't we..??

Or, if that doesn't work, how about "Dunk a Devil along with your coffee and donuts each morning" if we start sharing our brand with a coffee and donuts franchise...

Brett Yormark has repeatedly said that our conference is "open for business" and if this helps get each school in the conference another $3-5M a year in revenue, does anyone really care how we do it..??

This appears to be especially true when talking about what happens when the proposed anti-trust settlement case against the NCAA leads to a realignment of how scholarships are distributed at each school...

Should we make sure that every Sun Devil baseball player has a full scholarship rather than having to share 11.7 scholarships amongst 32 players on the roster..??

And, somewhat relatedly, do we really need 85 football scholarships or 13 basketball scholarships in this transfer portal and NIL world where each player can come and go as they please at any time, etc..??

It's a good thing that Frank Kush never had to deal with this sort of college sports related environment or there wouldn't be any players participating in Camp T, so there wouldn't be a Camp T in the first place...

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of legacy our current Big Three coaches put together in the coming years at ASU...

As a father, I'm lucky to have raised some wonderful children even if it was a lot of hard work but it was well worth it...;)

Happy Father's Day to all you Sun Devil dads out there...:)

Will we be in "Good Hands with Allstate" or with our new AD in this transfer portal and NIL world..??

Just my usual two cents worth of opinion and analysis...;)

G'day Mates and Go Devils!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News