ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Walkabout

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Mornin Mates...

Today's Topic = Giving Thanks

On my way back from the ASU Steak Fry in Pinetop last night I engaged a 900 pound elk with my truck a few miles from Greer and neither the elk or truck survived the collision but luckily I did. All airbags deployed and the Dustman was able to escape with lacerations and bruises to his left shoulder and arm. I didn't have to go to the hospital in Springerville and was able to get some sleep and feel very fortunate this morning for the people that stopped and gave aid and for the medics that arrived and cleaned me up. I turned over the elk to one of the medics so it was harvested last night and will not be wasted.

The White Mtn Sun Devil Club put on another great event and I was able to visit some with Greg Powers, Mike Norvell and Chris Thomsen...

Greg Powers, who is our hockey coach and guru, is a very impressive guy and is really looking forward to taking us into Div 1 competition and plans to have us in the national limelight within 3-4 years, which he feels is realistic, given all of the advantages a hockey program in the desert offers...recruiting is going very well and we already enjoy a high profile based on our recent accomplishments...they will have a facility in the next couple of years and are already in the ICA building as part of Sun Devil athletics...

Coach Norvell is very excited about the offensive potential of this team and is not concerned about the receiving corps in any way...we will be a very good offensive team...Chris Thomsen has a lot of confidence in the OL and plans to use both Sam Jones and Quinn Bailey as part of the left and right tackle rotation this season...

Thomsen likes recruiting players from the state and Cal as he's found that close proximity works well with most recruits, and said the key is to get good size related to length and wingspan, and mentioned that is why Stanford has had such good lines, as their players are all mostly tall and strong, which helps them to keep defenders away from them...size, strength and wingspan are the keys to greatness...

A little birdie told me that all of the headliners in this class should qualify but there is one recruit who will not and that the Durant matter is dicey at best...

On another note, Dillon Faamatau may be used some at TE as he played there some in HS and has the size to really help out in certain situations, and Nick Ralston has already proven his worth at FB and will play this year and has outstanding potential...

In closing, Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there and please remember to never take anything for granted and always show the love to those that are close to you, as you never know what may happen on any given day...

In the future, my "elk incident" will grow into legendary stature just like good fish stories do as time goes by...within a couple of years the elk will have been a couple of tons with a full rack that touched the sky...;)

BTW, I was wearing my gold Sun Devil hat last night on the way home and many of those that helped after the collision noticed and said "Go Devils" as I thanked them said goodbye...

G'day Mates...Championships or Bust...Go Devils!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News