ADVERTISEMENT

The Report on Herm Edwards being a serious candidate for ASU's vacancy

Hod Rabino

Staff
Feb 23, 2015
The report showed up in Arizona Sports 98.7 FM site

I'm not buying it.

Yes, I do believe ASU's next head coach is coming from the NFL ranks and reported so last night. An NFL coach would be fine if the current assistants stayed on board, something Ray Anderson conveyed in his press conference, especially if he had to stay until the end of the season which is December 31st.

And yes, the fact that Herm Edwards has rich NFL experience and isn't coaching right now and could arrive quicker to ASU is on paper very appealing. But this is the NFL guy Anderson is going to hire, a 63-year old man who last coached in 2008 and won four and two games in his last two seasons in the league. I love watching him on TV, so this isn't me hating on Edwards or anything like that.

Teryl Austin
Greg Roman

Those are the NFL guys, and in that order, that I feel are the most viable candidates at this point for the ASU job.

Austin - has ties to the valley as he coached with the Cardinals and has a home here, and came recommended by Cardinals' GM Steve Keim.

Roman - part of that Stanford staff with Jim Harbaugh, something that appeals to Anderson a lot (same with Pep Hamilton), and later with the 49ers.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News