ADVERTISEMENT

Tommy John Surgery

TillmanTunnell

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2019
To be fair I do not know a lot about TJS. Technology is always changing. I did find this article from CBS which is a reputable source I would say.

It says that the rehab time for TJS has gone from the previous 10-12 months to the current 14-18 months.

BVK had his surgery March 9th
Benson had his surgery March 16th

The AZCentral article says
- Both pitchers are expected to be back next season
- The injuries are due to wear and tear over a long period of time and "not a certain pitch or a training technique"

If my math is right 14 months from surgery puts both of them set to return at the end of the regular season next year. With the 2020 season being missed because of covid, the 2021 season missed because of injury, if they sit out all of next year then they are basically missing 3 straight years of Baseball. What does that do to a pitcher?

If the injury was wear and tear over a long period of time what does that mean for recruiting?

- Will top college teams require pitchers have their elbow and shoulder be checked out by a reputable physician before they get a scholarship offer?
- Can a doctor see the wear and tear coming or is it not visible until things go wrong?
- With the high level of recovery from TJ do coaches even care if their player needs it?

Curious to hear from the board on what they know and think.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News