ADVERTISEMENT

Update on IPM, Jackson, Poplawski, Kelley, Dean, Harrison, Moore, Forman

Ralph Amsden

May 1, 2013
Ryan Kelley has an in-home with Todd Graham on Friday. The moment Chip Lindsey left, Josh Henson reached out and made sure things were all good on this front. He's signing.

Jared Poplawski was not at the commitment announcement for Jarrell, and will likely be tripping to Boulder this weekend. If ASU can get an OC in place, and they're able to reach out to him, it'd be helpful. Oregon was a real threat here, but the coach who offered him got fired. He won't visit Oregon, so he obviously won't be signing with them.

In my personal opinion, the recruitment of Austin Jackson has been sub-par. While it seems obvious on the surface that losing Thomsen would hurt the pursuit of Jackson the most, considering his closing rate (see Rudd, Bolles, etc) and the players he ultimately took (McCollum over Dustin Woodard, Stephens but wouldn't offer Wacaser, Nathe, but wouldn't offer Tanner Hawthorne, etc), it could be addition by subtraction. First- the idea that an offensive tackle has to be 6-5, and not a hair under, has cost ASU Isiah Moore (MCC), Jonathan Nathaniel (Basha) and Jax Wacaser (Saguaro). Rumor is Thomsen didn't want to scare Jackson away by offering other in state prospects, like Jackson can't tell the difference between an in-state offer to a guy like Wacaser and an out-of-state guy like Rudd or Moore. ASU shouldn't have been walking on eggshells to have a chance at their primary target when the offensive line's depth is such an issue. This team doesn't worry about feelings when it comes to quarterbacks, and it shouldn't when it comes to linemen. Henson is doing what he can here- and already we've seen a change of strategy with him offering 2018 OL Joey Ramos when Thomsen was in wait-and-see mode to a kid who's had a Nebraska offer for almost an entire year. I believe Jackson is headed to USC, and he'll be one of around 10 true offensive tackles they've secured in the last 3 recruiting classes. He's not afraid of competition, and ASU probably shouldn't have proceeded as though he was, because I believe they'll miss not only on him, but on people they refused to consider because of him- players that have all had attention from programs like UCLA, Arizona and Wazzu.

Arizona State made a great run at Isaiah Pola-Mao. I'll answer whatever questions you have about the nature of his recruitment, and how ASU fit into the equation on Friday.

I expect Jhavonte Dean to announce for Miami, if not in the next couple days, on signing day.

Dominique Harrison, Dean's Blinn teammate, took in a West Virginia offer immediately after ASU was his first. I think he's a 4 for 3 player, and if things are going to pick up for him, he might be able to ride things out past signing day.

George Moore hasn't taken ASU off the table, but I believe Oregon State is the leader, with Oregon having a chance to come out of nowhere and steal him.

As Hod previously stated, I believe Shannon Forman is someone you can look at as being part of ASU's 2017 class. The ball is in Missouri's court to blow him away this weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News