ADVERTISEMENT

Weekend Walkabout

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
G'day Mates...

Today's Topic = Measuring Progress

I think our football expectations are at least modestly higher this season than the past two seasons but what does that mean..??

Surprisingly, to me at least, is the way the Cats media is trying temper expectations for new coach - Brent Brennan - who inherited a very nice situation from Jedd Fisch, as everyone in the media knows...

A Daily Star reporter (Michael Lev), in today's newspaper, examines all of the Big-12 coaches in terms of being on a "hot seat" this year and says that he thinks Brennan is on a hotter seat than Dilly because nobody expects much of the Sun Devils, while not so for the hometown Cats...

The Cats faithful now expect another double digit win total and the preseason media picked the Cats as one of the top teams in the Big-12, with a legitimate chance to win the championship...

On the other hand, the Sun Devil fans and preseason media, for the most part, don't expect much from Dilly in his second year at ASU, given the mess he inherited from Herm Edwards...

Is that true and, if so, how should we best measure progress this season under Dilly and his staff..??

Would winning four or more games be a measure of progress, even if we only win four games..??

What about winning five games..??

And, what if we only won 2-3 games...would that be a disaster..??

Even if the games were close and we didn't have any shellackings, like we had in the PAC last year, in bad losses to Utah, Oregon and AU...??

And, if Dilly only wins three games again this season, should he be on the "hot seat" next season, in your opinion..??

And, if Brennan only wins six or less games this season at AU, should he be on the "hot seat" next season..??

Of course, Utah coach - Kyle Whittingham - will not be on any "hot seat" anytime soon after what he's accomplished for the Utes during his tenure in SLC...

But, what about our friend up in Boulder, CO - Deion Sanders - can he back up his Bling Bluster with a bunch of wins this season..??

And, if he doesn't, should he be on a "hot seat" next season at CU..??

So, relatedly, who has more pressure on them this season, especially related to the Four Corner schools who are new to the conference..??

I guess Whittingham could be on the "hot seat" if his Utes only won a couple of games this next season but I don't see that happening...

So, for me, in the "hot seat" Four Corner derby (if there is such a thing) it comes down to Brennan, Prime Time and Dilly...

I don't care that much about either AU or CU but I'm wondering how to best measure progress for our Sun Devils this next season, as I've noted above...

What are at least three things that you are looking for this next season that would mean progress for our Sun Devils..??

Wins...No shellackings...an increase in scoring average (as we only averaged 18 pts per game last season) or a better defense based on points given up per game (as we gave up 32 PPG last year)...??

Etc, Etc, Etc...:cool:

Thankfully, the preseason begins in another 10 days or so...:)

G'day Mates and Go Devils!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.