ADVERTISEMENT

Why Did CHE Give Interviews on ESPN Ahead of his ASU Hire?

Hod Rabino

Staff
Feb 23, 2015
I know there's been some criticism about Herm Edwards giving interviews mainly on ESPN clearly broadcasting, no pun intended, that he was a serious candidate for the ASU job and later on announcing on ESPN that he was hired.

I'll admit that I did find it odd myself but as it is in most cases there is a method to the madness, and this is no exception.

As some of you may know ESPN had another recent round of layoffs and this time most of the folks affected were the production/behind the camera crew. Herm Edwards made sure that he made it known to ESPN that his hire by ASU was a done deal BEFORE the layoffs were announced. That way his salary could be used to save some jobs especially folks that Herm worked with on a regular basis.

As it turns out that approach was beneficial as I was told that a dozen or so jobs were saved because of the timing of Edwards' departure from ESPN to ASU. Yes, the publicity ASU received through Edwards' interviews for several days didn't hurt either, but there was a much, much big picture in mind.

I know some folks are still not on board with that hire and that's definitely anyone's prerogative but just wanted to explain why Edwards was giving out all those interviews. Yes it was very unusual, and at the same time, yes acts such as Edwards' are also rare.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News