ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Monson and Bobby Hurley

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Both Tommy Lloyd at AU and Mark Few at Gonzaga have gone on the record bemoaning what happened to Dan Monson at Long Beach St, who years ago helped spawn the Gonzaga dynasty...

Monson had been at LBSU for 17 seasons, where he had won a couple of conference championships, including the Big West conference tournament this year to advance to the Big Dance for only his second time while at Long Beach St...

He spent two years at Gonzaga and turned that program into a big winner advancing to the Elite Eight in only his second season there...

That led to his getting the head coaching job at Big 10 school Minnesota where he spent eight seasons and had a 118-106 and 44-68 conference record...

He subsequently resigned from Minn after 8 seasons and after only having one 20 win season there with only one NCAA tournament appearance...

He then signed on with Long Beach St where he remained until he was let go shortly before the Big West tournament this year that his team ended up winning to advance to the Big Dance...

Listening to Tommy Lloyd (IMHO) you would think that Monson would now be homeless, etc, at the age of 62, thanks to the heartless and cruel actions taken by LBSU in not retaining him as their coach...

He wasn't paid much by Long Beach St, when compared to many other coaches at other schools, but he still got around $1M a year, even though part of the salary came from sharing "buy in" revenue the school received from schools like AU to be a "patsy" on their schedule (my phrasing)...

So, after two years at Gonzaga, eight years at Minn, and 17 years at LBSU, Monson was 445-395 (.530) winning percentage...

I only bring this up in case something similar happens to our Bobby Hurley at the conclusion of next season in 2025...

His Sun Devil record to date is 155-131 (.542%) and 79-88 (.473) with no conference titles or tournament titles to his credit...

Bobby also makes around $3M a year at ASU and has two years remaining on his contract...

Was the LBSU decision to part ways with Dan Monson way out of line as some might believe or totally justified given his fairly mediocre record at the school over 17 seasons there..??

And, are there any similarities to the Bobby Hurley situation at ASU, where next season will be his tenth at the school, that includes five losing seasons, no conference or tournament titles, etc..??

I'm not rooting against Bobby but I won't be crying any tears, either, if we have another disastrous season under his leadership next year that results in his termination as our BB coach...

Just my take on both situations, as always...Go Devils!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News