ADVERTISEMENT

My Mailbag Answers

Hod Rabino

Staff
Feb 23, 2015
Things are about to get crazy, Hod. My only question... what plans do you have in place to maintain your sanity whilst reporting on this 24/7?

That’s the good thing about doing this for 17 years. Been there, done that, and I’ll roll with all of the ebbs and flows of this coaching search.

Is Sumlin our top target? Will next coach be announced this week?

From everything I’m hearing he is. This time next week I would expect a head coach in place.

Any left field candidates appearing for the HC job?

I’m not hearing any name that hasn’t already been circulating already at one point or another. That doesn’t mean that can’t change in the next few days.

Where do you see Todd Graham landing next season?

His son will be a sophomore on the Notre Dame Prep football team. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him coach at that school, maybe even on a volunteer basis. I know how much his family loves living in the valley. Sure, chances are he will have to relocate one day if he wants to keep on coaching on the collegiate level, but I don’t anticipate that happening for another year or two if he did take that route.

Do you think Sumlin is "#1 target", or a smokescreen?

Sumlin’s affinity to ASU and the valley is well documented. ASU should be an easy sell for him compared to other candidates. He has a personal relationship with Ray Anderson too. All in all, I don’t see Sumlin’s candidacy as a smoke screen.

If Sumlin said not for whatever reason, who do you see as #2 target?

At this point, Detroit Lions’ defensive coordinator Teryl Austin would probably be that no. 2 candidate. Michigan passing coordinator Pep Hamilton may be close to being a no. 2A candidate if you will.

Who can fire Ray Anderson, is it just Crow? Also, Does RA really think he can get a top 3 football team with little money and has he proven this before?

Yes, University President Dr. Michael Crow would be the one responsible for Anderson’s future at the school. Anderson is being very ambitious with the goals he is setting considering the resources at his disposal. He now needs to live up to them.

Should I make Tacos or Chile Rellenos tonight?

This coaching hire needs to have a sexy name, so on that note, Chile Rellenos sounds more enticing than just tacos.

I'd like to see the top five candidates your team would like to be the next head coach at ASU. Then put the likely 5 candidates to be the head coach at ASU.

I can work on my team putting that together.

Do you think Graham's firing will set back ASU football for years to come?

It would be naïve to say that it doesn’t have the potential for that. And I’m talking just on the field. Because off the field, I don’t see the team GPA suddenly falling to a 1.5 or having a plethora of off the field issues. On the field, I don’t see why this team should take a step back from 7-5, as long as the linebackers and running backs can sustain the losses following the 2017 season. How much better can this team be? A Huge question mark for sure.

Not a question more of a statement. Hopefully you get to go and watch Perry lose to Chandler next weekend

Yes, I’m scheduled to make that trip with the Puma Nation down to the Tucson, and heaven help you and this board if Perry wins because the smack level coming from me will be at infinity level

When will they announce the bowl selections, my vacation depends on where they go. #dadofabandkid

As mentioned officially we’ll hear during the afternoon of Sunday, December 3rd, but usually, word leaks out earlier in the day.

Did I hear correctly that Anderson said they do not want to be like the SEC and pay coaches high salary ...their main goal is to pay middle of the pac12 type salary but expect consistent top three Pac 12 results?

Anderson said: “We're a state institution. We have to be disciplined. We're going to pay in terms of performance and there will be aggressively-fair incentives for accomplishments.” ASU right now wasn’t grossly short-changing Graham and I don’t see them doing it with the new hire. ASU’s fund-raising results have kicked into very high levels the last couple of years. So, I’m not quick to doubt that ASU can do better with coaches’ salaries.

Do you think he is really going to ask new coach to keep assistants or is that just coach speak to keep them from bolting during recruiting season?

I talk about that at length in the Podcast Ralph recorded with me, and basically said that this has the appearance of Anderson wanting to dull the blow, if you will, of the Graham firing by making that statement that has good optics associated with it. I also feel that Anderson may be exercising a “calling your bluff” extending an offer he feels has a good chance of Napier and/or Bennett turning down anyway.

Hod, do u think the team knew about the impending firing before the game? If they did, then that could explain the horrible start to the game. If not, then why the horrendous start? It could be argued that the horrible start is a trademark of FCTG teams, where they tend to "lay an egg" in the big games. So, I am just really curious if you think or know that the team was aware of the impending firing. Maybe this is a dumb question, and the answer is an obvious yes??

I said Friday night that if I’ve been hearing these “win or lose, Graham is fired” narrative since Wednesday of last week, that I never doubted that the coaches and players knew that too at that time. Yes, that could explain slow start on Saturday, and usually senior days as it is can elicit a sluggish first quarter or first half. Whatever was said at halftime, worked very well to say the least. Last year in Tucson we saw players quitting on the coaches. On Saturday, they fought back big time for Graham knowing it was his last home game.

What has RA done to justify a 5-year extension from Crow?

I would agree that many of Anderson’s hires left a lot to be desired. At the same time, back to back national championships in Triathlon, recent championships in women’s golf and wrestling, and the job Bobby Hurley is doing with men’s basketball are more than offsetting any shortcomings. This is why I fully expect that extension to go through.

Would Napier and/or Bennett likely be receptive to a demotion to a position coach and not remain a coordinator under the next coach?

Bennett for sure not due to his age, and can’t see it happening with Napier either.

If Sumlin is hired, will we see the return of Noel Mazzone to ASU?

It’s a possibility, but not etched in stone, As I posted elsewhere, wouldn’t be shocked if he retained Napier.

How did ASU afford a $12,000,000 buyout?

ASU’s fund-raising results have kicked into very high levels the last couple of years. Anderson had enough significant boosters on this side to make this move.

And are ASU’s contracts going to include such insane buy out clauses in the future?

I don’t know if Graham’s buy out was really that insane. It was essentially a three-year contract of a Power 5 head football coach. Graham’s salary is in the low 30’s among football coaches. When you dismiss someone with three years left versus two, then the buyout will be a pretty penny. Sumlin had only two years left and had a $10 million buyout. It can always be worse.

Are you able to elaborate on the locker room discord (my words not yours as a summation) you hinted at?

Not at this point, no.

Aside from a new coach, what is RA's #1 priority right now with the team?

Anderson wants the new coach to provide stability. Better retention of assistants, a better approach to recruiting, and a more entertaining product especially on offense. I’m not sure he has any other priority concerning the team.

What was the big issue that caused the rift between Graham and Anderson?

The personalities didn’t mix. Yes, it’s been said a thousand times, but you can’t emphasize it enough. Anderson is a pragmatic, action over words business person. That can create a rift as you are managing a person who draws more on emotion to motivate those who report to him. The action didn’t always match the lofty words. Anderson grinned and bear a 2014 season which was the best and worse of times. But 2015 where the product on the field didn’t even come close to matching all the accolades from Graham, is really where things turned from bad to worse. 2016 was even harder for Anderson to stomach.

In Anderson’s mind, there was literally nothing other than an eight-win season that would cause him to give Graham one more chance. He stayed true to his word and this is where his pragmatism showed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News