ADVERTISEMENT

ASU Baseball v GCU

TillmanTunnell

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2019
ASU welcomes the Grand Canyon baseball club across town to the friendly confines of Phoenix Muni tonight with first pitch scheduled at 6:00 pm.

The Antelope are managed by former ASU assistant Andy “Stanky” Stankiewicz. Interestingly enough Stanky coached at ASU but missed both Willie and later current ASU assistant Travis Buck. He also coached in the Seattle Mariner minor league system but missed being there with long time Mariner employee Mike Goff who moved onto the Giants. Although I’m sure some of these men have crossed paths unofficially. All great baseball guys.

Not too long ago GCU would have been considered an easy win but as we know they’ve come a long way under Coach Stankiewicz including a drubbing of the Wildcats earlier this season.

I expect them to come in fired up. Many of them come from the same programs as recent Sun Devils having been recruited from places like Red Mountain, Mountain Pointe, Basha, Perry, CDS, Hamilton, CAC, Boise State and others. All familiar ASU recruiting pipelines. They are sure to have a giant chip on their shoulder. Not just the players either. Stanky and the PC likely had their respective eyes on positions in Tempe this off season.

The flip side of that coin of course is that ASU has had the pick of the litter as it were both with coaches and players.

The great thing about baseball though is a player can’t hide behind the talent of others or a reputation. You either deliver or you don’t. There are no double teams, missed blocks, or poor play calls. Just you and the baseball. Under those circumstances I’ll take our guys tonight.

Go Devils!
Please forgive typos. On my phone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News