ADVERTISEMENT

OT: My daughter the Kicker

NMDevilPablo

Gold Member
Sep 15, 2016
Boulder, CO
Fun story. When my daughter decided to forgo her final HS Club Soccer Season to play football, she knew there is a senior kicker on the team, and that she might get to kick on Varsity, but she was ok with it. She understands competition. Side note, pre-teen girls soccer is super cutthroat. If anyone had told me this before having Athletic daughters, I would have laughed in their face.

She told me that she is way more accurate, but does not have the leg strength to kick it past the 33. The coach told her to practice Pooch kicks for kickoffs. So she did, she kicks all the JV kicks and the occasional kickoff in Varsity.

A couple of days before, Ruiz announced he was leaving ASU, her high school had their homecoming game. Senior boy kicker has the first extra point blocked, and his second attempt went way below the bar. While his leg is way stronger than Athena's, he was having accuracy issues.

After her school's next touchdown, they call Athena in, and she gets the extra point. Student Section erupts, and it's like a movie. Another touchdown, another extra point.

Next week's Varsity game, the boy kicker resumes lead kicking duties. He nails all of his kicks.

Here is the amazing thing: Neither kicker transferred.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News