ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Walkabout

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Mornin Mates...

Today's Topic = Spring Cleaning

I like it when the temps get up in the 80s and 90s during the Spring but that also means that I have a lot of spring cleaning to do around my house in Geezerville...

Fortunately, my wife is pretty good about not putting a lot of pressure on me to get my butt off the couch and do all the chores that need to be done in the Spring...

What's the point of being retired if your retirement resembles work, if you ask me...;)

I don't follow March Madness as much as I used to but it still gives me some joy to watch selected games like the Houston vs AU game that the Wildcats lost, thankfully, the other day...

The Wildcat women also lost at home in the tournament and that did not break my heart, either...:p

I'm used to getting my satisfaction in watching the Cats lose this time of year vs not having my Sun Devils involved in the Big Dance on a pretty regular basis...

I'm hoping, but not holding my breath, that some year, before I pass, that the Devils will be like St Peter's, who are making a name for themselves as a 15th Seed in the tournament...

I'm also hoping that whoever Ray gets to replace Charli as our ladies BB coach that he won't blow it with a Tracy Smith like hire...

I thought Tracy was a reasonable choice, at the time, but he sure was not a program elevator the way I thought he might become...

Now we have Willie in place, who did not inherit a great situation from Tracy, in my estimation, but, seemingly, is making some progress in reinvigorating our once proud program...

Heck, we have beaten the Huskies, at home, the past two nights and will be seeking a series sweep this afternoon in Tempe...

Our softball team is doing even better than our baseball team and has beaten the Cats the past two nights in Tucson, to enhance their record to 24-5 and 5-0 in the PAC...

I also read where our swimming team is doing well in the nationals under coach Bowman...

Now, if we can just get our Big 3 sports cooking with some gas we just might become more than an Olympic Sports mecca of sorts...

Our football team has cleaned out the lockers of five coaches, that included both the offensive and defensive coordinators, for scandal related issues, for the most part, and replaced them with what appear to be good, solid coaches, but time will tell...

The morale of the team appears to be in good shape during Spring practice which is a good sign, I think...

Our basketball team has also cleaned out the lockers of three freshmen that were recruited last year but didn't look to be contributors to the team moving forward...

So, there has been a lot of Spring cleaning going on at ASU that, hopefully, will turn out to be a good thing for our programs moving forward...

I'll close by talking about what LA Rams coach Sean McVay had to say about his "Be a P.R.O." coaching philosophy that he enumerated, while down here, at a AU coaching clinic, recently...

P.R.O. = being Purposeful, Resilient and Original as a coach...

It begins with knowing what your players are capable of doing as opposed to what they are not capable of doing...and it starts at the top with the QB position...

Having an identity and core belief...

Marrying the run and the pass so plays start out looking the same but end up being different...

Attacking defensive fronts to make defensive players have to defend every blade of grass on the field...

Finding ways to take stress off the two most difficult positions on the field which are the OL and the QB positions...

Making sure that all of the players on the team know that the coaches believe in them, not just the star players...

Using positive reinforcement when players make mistakes so they have the freedom to fail, which allows them to learn better from their mistakes...

Never take anything for granted...

What do you think about McVay's philosophy and is this pretty much the way of Herm's philosophy..??

Are there any differences that you can see between Herm's and Sean's football philosophy..??

Of course, Sean McVay has some of the very best talent that money can buy in LA which has to make his job a lot easier...:)

Talent Is Destiny, right..??

Well, off to do some spring cleaning chores...:cool:

G'day Mates and Go Devils!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News