ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Walkabout

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Mornin Mates...

Today's Topic = Getting With The Program

Based on recent actions by Bobby Hurley it seems that he has definitely gotten with the program, when it comes to the new college athletic paradigm, that requires coaches to be like product salesmen as much as coaching players and designing plays on a chalkboard, etc...

For, these days, you have to show players, especially in basketball and football, the love and money that is equated with that love on a daily, monthly and yearly basis...

You have to be in-sync with the new semi-pro model that governs college athletics and that is characterized by continuous turnover through the unlimited transfer portal and paying players for their services through NIL platforms...

It's basically a pro sports model where some college education is required along the way but only as a means to a pro sports end in the final analysis for elite players, IMHO...

You have free agency in pro sports and the transfer portal in college sports...

Pro players are paid by their teams while college athletes are now paid through NIL collectives...

And, in the not too distant future, it appears that colleges will have a cap like budget with which to allocate scholarships and pay-for-play services in their athletic departments...

This will put added stress on athletic depts that will have to come up with the necessary financial resources with which to compete at the highest levels of P-4 competition...

Which is why, apparently, ASU has a new athletic dept model that was developed by our new AD in conjunction with our school's president...

What this has done for me is made me return to a renewed interest in the NFL that only allows teams to have 53 men on a roster and where star power draws interest in teams that can afford them...

Additionally, the roster turnover allows for the possibility that your favorite team can elevate itself out of mediocrity quickly if it hits on the right star players for its roster...

Of course, an associated problem is that it can all be gone in an instant tomorrow given the transfer portal...

At least in the NFL, the players have signed contracts that obligate them to be on any given team for a period of time, I guess the way scholarships used to tie down players in college...

So, is there anything at a school like ASU that can tie a gifted player, in any sport, to it for a duration of time where fans can see a player for more than a nanosecond on any given sports roster..??

That's my question for the day...

And, I doubt that it would have much of anything to do with getting an education, but could be wrong about that...

Dilly seems to have found some answers in his football program and, if so, what do they entail..??

Can a certain "culture' negate the draw of big bucks elsewhere..??

Anyhow, I'm getting with the program since I don't have any choice in the matter...:)

How about you..??

Heck, the NFL keeps growing in popularity and maybe the same thing will happen with college football, too...

And, we will get to see an entertaining basketball show this season under Bobby so what's not to like, right..??

We got some much needed rain down here yesterday and it's a little cooler today as a result...

Hope you all have a good week as we approach July which means a new football season is just around the corner...

G'day Mates and Go Devils!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News